Singapore Expats

Employment Pass cancellation + new EP

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
TV18

Employment Pass cancellation + new EP

Post by TV18 » Thu, 13 Jun 2019 4:40 pm

Hello Everyone,

Apologies for asking asking the following as I am aware these have been asked before in one form or the other but I am conflicted in my understanding.

Six months after relocating me from India to Singapore my employer has sent me on garden leave and is terminating my role. I am already in the process of interviewing with prospective employers with the reference of my former colleagues. However, would love some insights to understand what happens once the EP gets cancelled and I still don't have an offer on paper from the new organization. Does having an EP earlier make it easier for processing it once again?

I also need some advice on terminating the Singtel contract. Is there any room for waiver from termination fees on the grounds that I have lost my job, i am no longer going to be living in the same house and also my EP will be processed for cancellation?

Thank you in advance!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Employment Pass cancellation + new EP

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 13 Jun 2019 7:09 pm

When your EP is cancelled, you will be given a 30 day SVP that cannot be extended and you will be required to return to your home before returning to Singapore.

Every EP application is applied for and judged on it's own merits. The fact that you have one previously, doesn't necessarily mean you will get another. The EP is a two part pass. Both you AND the employer must qualify. Even though you both qualified on the current position. The new employer may or may not be able to qualify based on their records with the MOM. The odds are that if you are on an EP it should not be a problem as there are no quotas involved like S and WP work passes, however, it the new company is extremely heavy with foreign employees there is the possibility that the MOM might limit their ability to hire more without have a heavy injection of local workers. So, while all is not lost, the potentially does exist of being rejected.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 13 Jun 2019 7:11 pm

Good Luck with SingTel. I left the sorry bast*rds 10 years ago and wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

TV18

Post by TV18 » Thu, 13 Jun 2019 7:18 pm

Thank you so much @sundaymorningstaple for the very clear response on EP. I am very very worried about my financial damage that SIngtel could cause :(

With no income, every dollar counts :( :(