Singapore Expats

Termination by employer during probation will affect next EP approval?

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
eren_jaeger

Termination by employer during probation will affect next EP approval?

Post by eren_jaeger » Thu, 06 Jun 2019 10:07 am

Hi,
So I first came to Singapore few months ago and was employed for 3 months probation. Near the end of probation period, I was terminated without valid reason( even though they claimed I showed unsatisfactory performance in the termination letter, but everyone in the company knows that is not the real reason. And I have filed against my previous employer with TADM.
I have already applied for other jobs previously, and one day before I got terminated, my prospective employer has already applied EP for me.
My question is, would termination by previous employer during probation period would affect my new EP approval? Or would it delay the approval process?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Termination by employer during probation will affect next EP approval?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 06 Jun 2019 11:29 am

Sounds like you made a classical mistake here. You applied for other positions while still currently being employed by your employer (during your probation, no less. Don't you know that your employer can check your status on EPOL or WPOL and it will show if there are any outstanding applications or IPA approvals? What did you expect your employer to do? Keep wasting money on an employee who, after they spent money getting your hired and theoretically trained to do the job, was going to stab them in the back the first chance they got? I'd say you got your just desserts.

In the future be aware of the capabilities of the HR departments. Before I retired this past March, I was the HR & Finance manager of a medium sized SME with a maxed out quota of foreign staff. My instruction to my HR Exec was for her to check EPOL & WPOL once a month for each of our foreign staff to see how many and who were looking to move. While I would let these people go, I would let respective managers know, if there needed to be reductions in staff, who would be good candidates (those looking to go).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

eren_jaeger

Post by eren_jaeger » Thu, 06 Jun 2019 11:39 am

Last edited by eren_jaeger on Thu, 06 Jun 2019 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

eren_jaeger

Post by eren_jaeger » Thu, 06 Jun 2019 11:42 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Sounds like you made a classical mistake here. You applied for other positions while still currently being employed by your employer (during your probation, no less. Don't you know that your employer can check your status on EPOL or WPOL and it will show if there are any outstanding applications or IPA approvals? What did you expect your employer to do? Keep wasting money on an employee who, after they spent money getting your hired and theoretically trained to do the job, was going to stab them in the back the first chance they got? I'd say you got your just desserts.

In the future be aware of the capabilities of the HR departments. Before I retired this past March, I was the HR & Finance manager of a medium sized SME with a maxed out quota of foreign staff. My instruction to my HR Exec was for her to check EPOL & WPOL once a month for each of our foreign staff to see how many and who were looking to move. While I would let these people go, I would let respective managers know, if there needed to be reductions in staff, who would be good candidates (those looking to go).
As far as I know, HR did not know I have already applied for other job after I was terminated. Also, can HR check the status of the employer of EP application without knowing the application number and application date for the new EP?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 06 Jun 2019 4:56 pm

Fortunately, you are lucky in that respect. The current employer while being able to easily find out if you are applying for or have gotten an IPA for a new employer, the existing employer cannot see WHO that employer is. But you can basically not bother asking for a testimonial from your current employer.

Sure, if the current employer does as I do, once I find an employee who is applying for other positions (e.g., EP/WP/S pass applications pending) I then have my HR Exec then check on that employee weekly or possible even 2x week. (Usually once a week is enough though). Normally though, the worthless employee will have already submitted their resignation as soon as they find out about the IPA being granted. We also check more regularly 3 months before an employee is due for renewal of their work pass for the same reason.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers