Singapore Expats

Home office equipement

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Home office equipement

Post by brian_singapore » Sat, 01 Jun 2019 11:24 am

I am will shortly be moving to a work from home arrangement where I will be working from a home office 2 weeks a month.

I have a history of neck issues when working for long periods with bad chair/desk setups etc.

Can anyone recommend a place that specializes in ergonomic (home office) setups? I feel it will be worth investing in a quality quality chair/desk that can be configured for proper support.

If anyone has any experience with a quality phone (i.e. landline) and/or computer connected speaker phone type arrangement I would appreciate it.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Re: Home office equipement

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 01 Mar 2021 11:03 am

One of my colleagues used Ergoworks furniture. They specialize in making ergonomic furniture, and have a pretty huge variety of office furniture. Prices are pretty reasonable, I think they start at a little over $100 and work their way up to close to a thousand.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 01 Mar 2021 11:43 am

I am looking into buying a Herman Miller chair for the same reason. I wasted ~$400 on a chair from Ikea that killed my neck in about two hours.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

the observer
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by the observer » Mon, 01 Mar 2021 8:29 pm

https://s.lazada.sg/s.ZclVq

This popped up on my wall.

Seller of used Herman Miller Aerons.
Some promo price for 3.3 apparently as well.

Not that I have cares for this at mom.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 01 Mar 2021 9:02 pm

the observer wrote:
Mon, 01 Mar 2021 8:29 pm
https://s.lazada.sg/s.ZclVq

This popped up on my wall.

Seller of used Herman Miller Aerons.
Some promo price for 3.3 apparently as well.

Not that I have cares for this at mom.
Yeah but fixed arm model (don't buy those - you can't slide them under home desks).
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 02 Mar 2021 8:11 am

PNGMK wrote:
Mon, 01 Mar 2021 11:43 am
I am looking into buying a Herman Miller chair for the same reason. I wasted ~$400 on a chair from Ikea that killed my neck in about two hours.
I’ve never tried Herman Miller, let me know how it works out if you decide to buy one. But yes, Ikea furniture is terrible. Incredibly low quality and flimsy, particularly their “wooden” furniture. We bought a bed for our daughter. Broke in 3 months. And it’s not like she was being rough with it. We ended up buying the replacement elsewhere and loved it. Much better material and has been going strong for well over a year.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 02 Mar 2021 12:51 pm

Oh, if you are thinking how good Scanteak appears, you might also want to give them a miss. I've been fooled by them for years (although I've never bought anything as their prices to too inflated - I didn't realize how much until the run-up to CNY this year). I love the run-up to CNY as I am a recycler type of woodworker. I love people throwing away old hardwood furniture which I break down and repurpose. This year I came across a teak bedframe with nice long wood rails down each side. Clearly marked with the Scanteak logo into the wood at one end of each rail. After bringing them back to the house I started to removed the inner slat rails and low and behold, those bed rails are NOT solid wood at all but a very heavy dense type of particleboard (not quite MDF but close) that has real teak veneer on ALL sides/edges and end grain, covering all traces of the false centres. The stuff is garbage. Buyer beware.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Tue, 02 Mar 2021 8:56 pm

I brought my chair home from the office after getting all the necessary approvals. Just can’t see buying one when I’ve got a high end Steelcase chair sitting in my office collecting dust.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr