Singapore Expats

Is Value dollar shop, a good place to shop ?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Re: Is Value dollar shop, a good place to shop ?

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 05 Apr 2021 10:41 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Mon, 05 Apr 2021 10:23 am
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Fri, 02 Apr 2021 7:07 pm
However, the use by dates aren't an indication when the stuff has to be thrown out, but only an approximate time before the item loses some of it flavour. (Half-Life of all the chemical additives?)
Is this true? I have always been under the impression that the use by dates, like the name suggests, is the date by which you need to consume the food before it begins to go bad. Although I guess its possible you’re right, the food doesn’t just rot to mush once the clock strikes 12.
I think it depends on the type of food. example: in breads I have seen moulds the next day after the useby date is over. This is a general observation and not related to Value$

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 05 Apr 2021 10:52 am

singaporeflyer wrote:
Mon, 05 Apr 2021 10:41 am
Lisafuller wrote:
However, the use by dates aren't an indication when the stuff has to be thrown out, but only an approximate time before the item loses some of it flavour. (Half-Life of all the chemical additives?)
Is this true? I have always been under the impression that the use by dates, like the name suggests, is the date by which you need to consume the food before it begins to go bad. Although I guess its possible you’re right, the food doesn’t just rot to mush once the clock strikes 12.
I think it depends on the type of food. example: in breads I have seen moulds the next day after the useby date is over. This is a general observation and not related to Value$
Oh my. They must have been full of chemical preservatives then.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 05 Apr 2021 1:06 pm

Baked good & fresh packaged meats & dairy are a different category. Processed foods where there is sealed packaging is what I was referring to. There are various terms being used like Use by date, sell by date, best by date. All have subtle differences in meanings and not all are required in all countries.

https://news.extension.uconn.edu/2019/1 ... ally-mean/
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Mon, 05 Apr 2021 4:04 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Yes, especially if it says “best before” it doesn’t mean expired. I always bring a few dozen canned items from the U.S. every trip. I have consumed items over 6 months beyond the BB date.

What kind of canned items? Mainly beef stew, beef raviolis and beef tamales. These are all items you can no longer get here because Singapore banned U.S. beef products way back during the mad cow scare.... hasn’t reviewed it since, other than to allow the importation of whole steaks (for restaurants).
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Mon, 05 Apr 2021 4:24 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Mon, 05 Apr 2021 10:52 am
That is a common misperception, especially here in Asia. Some packed items do contain things like BHA/BHT which should be avoided, however, the canning process kills all the bacteria and vacuum seals it so no bacteria can get in and spoil it.

When I was growing up we had a garden with green beans, corn, etc... my mom used to can vegetables using Ball brand jars with special pop top lids in this big pressure cooker. No chemicals or preservatives are used in the process, just heat to kill the bacteria. The best before date is 2 years after canning, provided the seals remain in good condition.

When my grandma died they found a whole bunch of home canned items in her cellar, she went through the Great Depression and was ready for anything!
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 06 Apr 2021 1:46 am

Mal, when I was a kid we also used to can vegetables in Mason/Ball jars. Has some rellies (mom's side who were hillbillies in the coal mining camps of southern W. VA. where she grew up. They all canned but Mason jars also used for drinking 'shine as well. Talk about something smooth but kicked like a mule when it hit bottom! LOL
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Wed, 07 Apr 2021 11:11 pm

I’ve always heard about moonshine as well as everclear... about as close to pure alcohol as you can get. Never had the opportunity to try it, but I do believe that will put some hair on your chest.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 07 Apr 2021 11:30 pm

For all intents & purposes, moonshine & Everclear are the same thing except that Everclear is a commercial product ranging from around 140 to 190 proof (95% alcohol), whereas moonshine is made illegally and in not so sanitary conditions. You are right, either will make a man or a whimpering little puppy out of you. I've actually had some good 'shine but most isn't - this while inspecting dams (commercial diving) years ago on the Catawba River in the Carolinas). One of my local divers was from Charleston so knew his way around, if you know what I mean.

Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 23

Post by Myasis Dragon » Thu, 08 Apr 2021 1:54 am

We made moonshine daiquiris a few times... absolutely deadly... go down so smoothly... then when you try to stand up... yikes!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 08 Apr 2021 7:15 am

Lisafuller wrote:
singaporeflyer wrote:
Lisafuller wrote:

If they started to mould fast I would say they have no chemicals or very little. But as the others already said, use by date is just a suggestion / indication but also something for authorities to monitor/control quality of food being sold.

This is by the way, not only about the food inside the package but the package itself (for example, the way it deteriorates). There are expiration dates also on products like salt and water and you don't expect salt and water, probably formed some 4 billions years ago to get all the sudden spoilt in 12 months or so.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 08 Apr 2021 10:21 am

x9200 wrote:
Thu, 08 Apr 2021 7:15 am
Lisafuller wrote:
singaporeflyer wrote:

If they started to mould fast I would say they have no chemicals or very little. But as the others already said, use by date is just a suggestion / indication but also something for authorities to monitor/control quality of food being sold.

This is by the way, not only about the food inside the package but the package itself (for example, the way it deteriorates). There are expiration dates also on products like salt and water and you don't expect salt and water, probably formed some 4 billions years ago to get all the sudden spoilt in 12 months or so.
Yes, probably also to relieve the large corporations of liability.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Thu, 08 Apr 2021 11:26 am

Cinnamon is one product that practically does not expire - they put an expiry date, but you can ignore it. It may lose some of its bite, but it won’t spoil, even after 10 years.

I also find it interesting that when I mix cinnamon and sugar together, the ants won’t touch it... they must not like cinnamon.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 08 Apr 2021 12:31 pm

Honey will also last - naturally antibacterial and antifungal.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 08 Apr 2021 1:06 pm

malcontent wrote:
Thu, 08 Apr 2021 11:26 am
Cinnamon is one product that practically does not expire - they put an expiry date, but you can ignore it. It may lose some of its bite, but it won’t spoil, even after 10 years.

I also find it interesting that when I mix cinnamon and sugar together, the ants won’t touch it... they must not like cinnamon.
Yes, ground cinnamon never goes bad, but it does lose its flavor if you keep it for too long.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 08 Apr 2021 1:11 pm

x9200 wrote:
Thu, 08 Apr 2021 12:31 pm
Honey will also last - naturally antibacterial and antifungal.
I have a spoon of honey every morning. It’s good for my throat and I’ve read great things about it having “healing” properties.