Singapore Expats

Is Value dollar shop, a good place to shop ?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
mohamed66

Is Value dollar shop, a good place to shop ?

Post by mohamed66 » Wed, 29 May 2019 1:20 pm

What is the difference between buying goods in NTUC and Value dollar shop ? I can get the same item for cheaper price in value dollar shop. Do they sell near expiry products or anything wrong in the product ?

The Ref
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Is Value dollar shop, a good place to shop ?

Post by The Ref » Fri, 31 May 2019 11:32 pm

They often buy stuff that is not sold by the wholesalers which may be stock that is near end of life or just isnt moving so what they have changes over time and they are often out of a particular thing but will get it back. I get deoderant, shampoo, bandaids, soap and razors from there as they are lower price. I also bought storage boxes at an extremely cheap price :) Nothing wrong in saving a few cents along the way.

The only concern is that some stuff looks cheaper than NTUC only because the sizes are smaller (Washing detergent for example) but many things are good Value$

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 01 Jun 2019 10:33 am

Yeah, like Snickers & Bounty candy bars. :-(
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Josephsgl

Post by Josephsgl » Sat, 01 Jun 2019 8:24 pm

Some stuffs are actually worth buying, but for chocolate like Kit Kat, they actually taste a bit different. And some are melting probably due to the way they shipped and store their stocks.

Some products are not necessary cheaper though.

Things i buy will be chips, Mars, Snickers, some biscuits and daily essentials.

GlenT

Post by GlenT » Tue, 18 Jun 2019 5:36 pm

Value dollar is a fantastic place to shop for certain products (candies, chocolates, snacks) if you want to save some money. They typically bring in products that are meant for other Asian markets (that why you see all kinds of languages on the packaging) and sell them for much lower cost than NTUC would.

Just have to take note of expiry dates asthey may be closer to expiring

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 18 Jun 2019 8:31 pm

I usually make the family's candy purchases at the one on the 4th fl of NEX before I go to NTUC on the 3rd floor to do my weekly marketing (e.g., this morning).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

joeyy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by joeyy » Tue, 01 Oct 2019 1:47 pm

Pros and cons i think? Some food from Value Dollar shop taste differently from fairprice. Of course, you pay the amount, you get the quality of that. haha like sanitary pads etc too. Depends on what you looking at. But is a good choice to get those big packet tibits for partyyyyyyyyy \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ ~ Much more worth!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 01 Oct 2019 4:46 pm

Yep, did my marketing this morning at NTUC at NEX. Up to the 4th floor bought 4 Six-packs of Snickers and 3 six-packs of Kit Kat 2's for the grand-niece (we all eat snickers - that's good for about 10~14 days. Makes good sense, the Snickers are 50 g bars so at just under 50cent a bar, pretty cheap.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 15 Jan 2021 2:09 pm

Some of the snacks and chocolates taste very different from the same product purchased at a mainstream supermarket. I’ve looked into this before, and found that it was because some of their products are imported from other parts of Southeast Asia such as Thailand. This does not necessarily mean that the snacks are of low quality, but rather that they were made to cater to different tastebuds. I am not a fan of the difference in taste, so I stay away from the snacks and mostly buy household products such as air fresheners. Nevertheless, great value for money!

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Post by abbby » Fri, 15 Jan 2021 2:15 pm

I would usually buy sauces, chocolates and biscuits at Value. Much cheaper than in NTUC, good place to place candies for Halloween cos it's much cheaper and you get more.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiktok » Fri, 15 Jan 2021 2:40 pm

No, everything is fire damaged, per the big signs they used to have.
I not troll/wacko/spammer.
Me no expat. Me foreigner.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 15 Jan 2021 2:42 pm

I buy Snickers by the Box (24 count). 50cents a bar. Same bar in NTUC (same weight) costs around $1.20. Also buy Bounty bars as well when they are in stock as again the price differential is virtually the same.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 15 Jan 2021 2:46 pm

Fire sales are the best kinds. A store has a little fire that destroys 2 or 3% of the stocks, Fire Insurance covers the entire contents of the store. 3rd party company buys and resells at much lower costs but there is absolutely nothing wrong with the foodstuffs being sold. This has always been a popular type of store. Same goes with buying a damaged shipping container of stuff. The vast majority is okay but as insurance covers the entire contents of the container, same thing goes.

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiktok » Fri, 15 Jan 2021 2:54 pm

Just kidding, the fire sale signs at Value Dollar were always a lie, and apparently the gahment recently told them they must stop displaying them.
I not troll/wacko/spammer.
Me no expat. Me foreigner.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 15 Jan 2021 2:59 pm

Oddly, I have two Value Dollar shops where I live, one in our estate market area and the other at NEX. I've never seen those signs since they opened. Generally go into either one or the other once a week. (I eat a lot of Snickers bars).