Singapore Expats

Health insurance

Discuss the different insurance options from car to health insurance.
s_p

Health insurance

Post by s_p » Sun, 26 May 2019 10:41 am

Hi,

I am an Indian and want to buy health insurance for my Wife and kid. Any recommendations on this? Also any idea on if it’s recommended to get outpatient and dental with it too?

3carlos

Re: Health insurance

Post by 3carlos » Wed, 29 May 2019 5:02 pm

Hi there, you have to be clear about the differences between the local integrated shield plans (inpatient only) and also the international medical plans (can add outpatient and dental).

Do note that local integrated shield plans are meant for Singaporean/PR and as a foreigner you will be required to pay first. International plans can allow direct billing (subject to paperwork and approval).

s_p

Post by s_p » Thu, 30 May 2019 7:41 am

Hi, so I am on employment pass so guess will need to take international one. Any suggestions on the same?

Josephsgl

Post by Josephsgl » Thu, 30 May 2019 9:28 am

I will recommend getting global coverage if subsidies are provided by your company. Otherwise there are plans that cater to expats as well for local hospitals only.

PKRR

Post by PKRR » Thu, 30 May 2019 9:55 pm

Hi,
Im an Indian here with family too. I looked up and bought a plan online minus the hassles of speaking with agents.

I would say, OPD & Dental coverage is good to have but not necessary (i havent taken it) as my employer provides it.

Let me know which did you finally pick-up :)

all the best!

3carlos

Post by 3carlos » Thu, 30 May 2019 10:04 pm

Unfortunately, it is better that I do not recommend any plans, I am here to share information and I trust that you will take what is said more seriously if I have nothing to gain from it.

A few pointers:
1. If you have company insurance, at the very least the inpatient cover is international
2. For (1), whether or not you get a Letter of Guarantee (LOG) depends - usually if the company is large, and the premiums are above a certain amount, a LOG can be issued instead of you paying first
3. For an individual to buy international medical policies, it need not be expensive, but there are trade-offs, e.g. you can select a deductible (the amount you pay before insurance starts) and claim it from (1). Be prepared to wait if you go this route
4. For (3), adding anything other than inpatient can be expensive, you can decide whether or not to proceed.

If I were a foreigner, I will be very clear on the difference between local and international plans by asking the local insurer 1 question: What happens if I have a $200,000 bill and I don't have the funds. Ask the insurers directly (if like PKRR you like to do things 'without talking to agents' ;))

s_p

Post by s_p » Fri, 31 May 2019 8:47 am

@PKRR: can you advise which insurance did you opt for? Currently the only options that i am being offered are NTUC and raffles.

@3carlos: The reason i used this forum to check for recos is i have generally seen ppl here are more to help rather than sell :)
thanks again for all the advise on the LOG and other points. WIll check out a few more options.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 18 Jul 2019 12:51 pm

s_p, that's because the moderators usually catch the advertisers/solicitors/scammers and delete them before others have a chance to be conned. We only allow recommendations by satisfied users. Insurance agents recommending their own products are selling, not recommending at all, just pitching a sales tactic.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Poh475

Post by Poh475 » Mon, 02 Jan 2023 1:14 am

The Scary part of local medical plans ( I.E plans from Raffles, NTUC , Prudential ) is that they do not offer LOG ( Letter of guarantee ) nor provide Pre-authorisation for foreigners.
Which means to say the policy holder needs to settle the bill first and claim from the insurer after the final bill is given

So if the bill is $200,000, you are in a world of stress

I personally called each company to clarify as my wife is a LTVP+ holder, but I got her insured with Raffles already. But I talked with the Raffles BDM and there are ways to split the bill and address it concurrently as long as the claim has been pre assessed by their panel but no official pre-authorisation will be given, just pre-approved claim but still subject to a final assessment

AIA on the other hand does provide Pre-Authorisation for Foreigners and will pay the bill directly if Pre-Auth is given.

Hope this is something helpful