Singapore Expats

Forward head posture

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
mikew
Location: Singapore, Australia, Andorra (mainly - it's complicated!)

Forward head posture

Post by mikew » Thu, 23 May 2019 10:59 pm

I have a confession... I have neglected my posture over the last decade or so and that's really coming back to bite me now.

Basically I've spent my life looking down at my phone and tablet and now I'm getting bad neck pain and some serious headaches.

I have been to 4 physios now, given them all a chance to do their thing but the headaches and pain continue. I've seen 1 chiropractor but frankly I'm amazed they even have a license.

A friend had this same problem and went through the same process and told me about his doctor in Australia who does what is called "Trigenics"... The pain is getting to me but I don't want to have to spend a month or two in Australia to fix it!

But I've had a really back run with doctors here. It's a long shot but has anyone been through the same situation? Did you use Trigenics and is there anyone you can recommend in Singapore that is trustworthy/expert in this type of treatment?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Forward head posture

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 23 May 2019 11:24 pm

Just use your phone as a phone. Simple
FBTextNeck.jpg
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 26 May 2019 1:28 pm

I also have been developing this problem. I started lifting up my phone to head level while reading.

The laptop is still an issue, I need to starting sitting on a chair with a table instead of sofa.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 26 May 2019 4:00 pm

For sure. As I don't watch too much TV, I have a office desk at home and while I use a notebook, I actually don't use the screen but have a 27" widescreen monitor. which keeps me in a better sitting posture. I'd already done a lot of damage before I made the switch. I try not to use my phone unless I'm traveling on the MRT and have my leather messenger bag on my lap so I can rest my wrists and phone on the top of the bag so it's at eye level. It's a conscious effort initially, but now it habit.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 27 May 2019 8:51 am

I suggest just simply improve your fitness. I found running helps my neck and back muscles. I keep my head up when running.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

clarence.fitness

Post by clarence.fitness » Wed, 29 May 2019 10:02 pm

Hi Mike, forward head syndrome can be solved by stretching of tight muscles and strengthening of the weak muscles. Areas to stretch - chest, shoulders and trapezius. Areas to strengthen - Entire Posterior chain and core muscles. Another point to note is to inculcate a good habit of standing up tall with your chest out. Hope that helps. cheers! :D

mikew
Location: Singapore, Australia, Andorra (mainly - it's complicated!)

Post by mikew » Mon, 10 Jun 2019 9:03 pm

I fully appreciate this is a habit and fitness issue. Interesting that running helps your neck and back PNGMK, I had never heard of running helping with posture.

Anyway I found someone to help with short term treatment. Thanks everyone

karltan

Post by karltan » Fri, 12 Jul 2019 11:06 am

Hey Mike,

Its a matter of certain muscles being underused and certain being overused and dominant causing the forward head posture.

Chiropractic will not help. Neither will anything you can take/consume.

You need to train up the weak muscles so that they pull your head back into the good position gradually. If your physio therapy was predominantly stretching/mobility exercises it will also be useless. Strengthening is required, even the back muscles, shoulder rotators and so on.

It can be corrected over time. So will the pain go away.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Edited by moderator