Singapore Expats

Special needs children in Singapore

Are you looking for a Special Needs School for your child? Discuss the options here.
yamachika

Special needs children in Singapore

Post by yamachika » Thu, 23 May 2019 3:15 am

My family is considering moving to Hong Kong or Singapore for work reasons but I have a 3.5year old son with Autism. We also suspect he may also have ADHD (we were told to reassess after he's of school age). My son does not have a severe case but I am very nervous about school placement as well as access to therapy, medication and other treatments my son may need.

Both my husband and I have much better earning potential in HK/Singapore, but we both quit our jobs and dedicated the past year to our son's therapy in the US. We don't regret this decision given intensive intervention in the early years has the most impact on the child's outcome. However, we are at a point where either my husband needs to accept a lesser paying job in the US or go back to Asia where he will earn significantly more in the long run. We also need to consider the possibility our son won't be able to financially support himself later in life.

I'm hoping to find out anything about any resources available to English speaking children with Autism or ADHD.
In particular I'm looking for the following:
1. Speech and Language services
2. Behavioral Therapy
3. Guidance on interventions or medication available for ADHD (we would only medicate when necessary but would like to know if a range of options are available)
4. Mainstream schools that are accommodative to special needs (schools that will allow shadow therapists on site)
5. Social skills classes
6. Anything at all that may be a good resource including support groups etc!

The following is some background on my son's current condition.
- speech&language - mildly affected. Above average receptive language but struggles significantly with expressive language and appropriate word use.
- social - affectionate with his family but has no interesest in peers. Struggles to engage when topic is not one of his extreme interests. inconsistent eye contact and very socially awkward.
- Repetitive and Restrictive behavior - has intense obsessions/interests (previously fans and now elevators) but is now less extreme and has a wider variety of interests
- Cognitive - He is not affected cognitively and has outstanding memory
- Sensory - He has overcome most of his sensory issues but will occasionally regress. His sensitivities are still there but are now less extreme and he has learned to use his words (used have meltdowns if he had even one drop of water on his shirt but after ABA therapy he will ask for a new shirt instead).

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Special needs children in Singapore

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 23 May 2019 9:48 am

Talk to Winstedt - special needs school.

https://goo.gl/maps/aLcGKUC4S1aBtt7H8
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 23 May 2019 12:25 pm

yamachika wrote:My family is considering moving to Hong Kong or Singapore for work reasons but I have a 3.5year old son with Autism. We also suspect he may also have ADHD (we were told to reassess after he's of school age). My son does not have a severe case but I am very nervous about school placement as well as access to therapy, medication and other treatments my son may need.

Both my husband and I have much better earning potential in HK/Singapore, but we both quit our jobs and dedicated the past year to our son's therapy in the US. We don't regret this decision given intensive intervention in the early years has the most impact on the child's outcome. However, we are at a point where either my husband needs to accept a lesser paying job in the US or go back to Asia where he will earn significantly more in the long run. We also need to consider the possibility our son won't be able to financially support himself later in life.

I'm hoping to find out anything about any resources available to English speaking children with Autism or ADHD.
In particular I'm looking for the following:
1. Speech and Language services
2. Behavioral Therapy
3. Guidance on interventions or medication available for ADHD (we would only medicate when necessary but would like to know if a range of options are available)
4. Mainstream schools that are accommodative to special needs (schools that will allow shadow therapists on site)
5. Social skills classes
6. Anything at all that may be a good resource including support groups etc!

The following is some background on my son's current condition.
- speech&language - mildly affected. Above average receptive language but struggles significantly with expressive language and appropriate word use.
- social - affectionate with his family but has no interesest in peers. Struggles to engage when topic is not one of his extreme interests. inconsistent eye contact and very socially awkward.
- Repetitive and Restrictive behavior - has intense obsessions/interests (previously fans and now elevators) but is now less extreme and has a wider variety of interests
- Cognitive - He is not affected cognitively and has outstanding memory
- Sensory - He has overcome most of his sensory issues but will occasionally regress. His sensitivities are still there but are now less extreme and he has learned to use his words (used have meltdowns if he had even one drop of water on his shirt but after ABA therapy he will ask for a new shirt instead).
From your list above:
1. available
2. available
3. no data
4. Only (some) international with VERY hefty fees that not really reflect the offered service quality
5. available
There are local schools / institution that accommodate children with severe autism but for mild levels you will have really hard time to find anything reasonable (quality and price-wise).
Most of the local therapists work based on ABA but with your son's profile I would expect he should follow DIR floortime and for ST, Hanen or/and Prompt. Does he?

nutri

Post by nutri » Thu, 23 May 2019 12:59 pm

Hi,

Depending what kind of approaches you are looking for, there are many private available therapists: OTs, Pts, SLTs, ABA and so on. You will be covered in that area. Social skills classes in a play manner are very rare, most are highly structured.

There are Facebook groups supporting parents like yourself i.e., SSNAP (Singapore Special Needs and Parents) but it is loaded with professionals and service providers trying to sell their products, so be careful. If you are more into natural approaches and some alternative treatments - join the Natural & Nutritional Health in Singapore. There is also specific group for parents of young kids like yourself - Hope for Our Little Ones.

Schools will be the hardest to find, especially when your son will reach elementary level. Those with support are not truly mainstream (nothing like the U.S. system) and charge between $35K to $88K per year with constant increases in charges and compulsory things, such as "encouraging" parents to use their therapy services (that are more expensive than those you will source out of the school).
Most of the other International Schools are very, very careful with taking children with any kind of differences, so be ready to face a problem here.

Good luck with your move.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 23 May 2019 1:44 pm

I'd agree with Nutri on her final point.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

NTU ASD01 STUDY

Invitation to participate in study: Improving relationship between mother and child

Post by NTU ASD01 STUDY » Mon, 21 Oct 2019 4:28 pm

ARE YOU A MOTHER OF A CHILD WITH ASD?
Sign up for our study to help us learn about your relationship with your child.  Your involvement in the study would consist of completing a one-hour online survey. You can complete the study at your convenience and will be compensated for your time. 

Mothers of a child with ASD who is between the ages of 3-7 years old are eligible to participate. 

If interested, call Ms. Chloe Hong at +65 9652 8075 or email [email protected].  Alternatively, contact the Social and Affective Neuroscience Lab at 65921573. For more information on the study, call with questions. 

https://postimg.cc/yDGYwk5d

x9200

Re: Invitation to participate in study: Improving relationship between mother and child

Post by x9200 » Mon, 21 Oct 2019 5:03 pm

NTU ASD01 STUDY wrote:
Mon, 21 Oct 2019 4:28 pm
ARE YOU A MOTHER OF A CHILD WITH ASD?
Sign up for our study to help us learn about your relationship with your child.  Your involvement in the study would consist of completing a one-hour online survey. You can complete the study at your convenience and will be compensated for your time. 

Mothers of a child with ASD who is between the ages of 3-7 years old are eligible to participate. 

If interested, call Ms. Chloe Hong at +65 9652 8075 or email [email protected].  Alternatively, contact the Social and Affective Neuroscience Lab at 65921573. For more information on the study, call with questions. 

https://postimg.cc/yDGYwk5d
Problems with getting sufficient response? Wonder why?

Anyway, here I write as a moderator: please, don't repost it again. You already posted it short time ago.