Singapore Expats

Visa for my girlfriend

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
mick0

Visa for my girlfriend

Post by mick0 » Sat, 18 May 2019 2:30 pm

HI there

I have recently been offered a job in Singapore which i am seriously considering. The job will be an internal transfer from current employer in Australia. What I cant find online is the potential visa status for my girlfriend. We have been together for about 4 years, can anyone tell me if she will be eligible for a visa and able to work?
Thanks
Mick0

bcheng74
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Visa for my girlfriend

Post by bcheng74 » Sat, 18 May 2019 2:31 pm

mick0 wrote:HI there

I have recently been offered a job in Singapore which i am seriously considering. The job will be an internal transfer from current employer in Australia. What I cant find online is the potential visa status for my girlfriend. We have been together for about 4 years, can anyone tell me if she will be eligible for a visa and able to work?
Thanks
Mick0
No for girlfriend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mick0

Post by mick0 » Sat, 18 May 2019 3:02 pm

Thanks @bcheng74, is there a work around here. The job and offer is good so its worth considering but my gf wants to find work whilst there.
Is there a process for her when she arrives?

bcheng74
Chatter
Chatter

Post by bcheng74 » Sat, 18 May 2019 5:01 pm

mick0 wrote:Thanks @bcheng74, is there a work around here. The job and offer is good so its worth considering but my gf wants to find work whilst there.
Is there a process for her when she arrives?
No there is no workaround apart from having a tourist visa for 30 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 18 May 2019 5:11 pm

No work around. Unless she can find a job on her own merits, but until such thing happens, she'll get naught but a Tourist Visa and will have to leave after that. She might get on extension but after that, subject to some carefully planned trips, she might gets refused entry in a worst case scenario.

When she gets here assuming she has a minimum of a degree and several years of experience in the related field, she 'might' get lucky to get an offer. But getting an employment pass is not easy to do unless you have a saleable skillset that isn't easy to already find here in Singapore. Good Luck, as I think she is going to need a pretty decent sized dollop of it, truth be known.

Of course, you can make it a lot easier if you just make the relationship legal. ;-)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiktok » Sun, 19 May 2019 2:18 pm

Workaround = get married :D
I not troll/wacko/spammer.
Me no expat. Me foreigner.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 19 May 2019 4:37 pm

If you can get documented proof that she is a defacto you can get a DP for her. The problem is the lazy ineffective asses at the Anal High Commission won't issue one now I believe.
Last edited by PNGMK on Mon, 20 May 2019 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 19 May 2019 5:37 pm

sms wrote:Of course, you can make it a lot easier if you just make the relationship legal.
tiktok wrote:Workaround = get married :D
Blimey, the parrot's back. :roll:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers