Singapore Expats

returning to Singapore after PR Renunciation and son's NS liability

Do you have a question about National Service (NS) in Singapore? Discuss it here.
Jenny12321

returning to Singapore after PR Renunciation and son's NS liability

Post by Jenny12321 » Fri, 10 May 2019 8:44 pm

Hi everyone, I was a Singapore PR and my Re entry permit (REP) renewal was rejected in year 2015. I was told that as long as I stay in Singapore, I can still hold my PR status. However, my father had bad health in year 2016 and I left Singapore in 2016 with the expired REP. I was informed that I was no longer a PR upon leaving of Singapore at the airport.

IRAS still send me letters yearly. In order to receive these letters, I tried to change my address to my overseas address as I no longer have an address in Singapore. However, when I email the ICA to change the address, they asked me to return my IC immediately, and stated a section of the 13 of the National Registration Regulations, saying that they could impose imprisonment or/and a fine of 3k.

I returned my IC to ICA only in 2019. Now I want to come back Singapore to withdraw CPF. Will there be legal punishment impose on me (as stated in the email) when I enter Singapore?

Also, if I cancelled my PR, will my son's PR be cancelled as he is a dependent PR of me? So in this case, will he need to serve NS? My son did not stay in Singapore since 2013 and he is now 11 years old. He did not go to ICA to renounce his PR officially.

Thank you everyone in advance!! It's really important to me. :)

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: returning to Singapore after PR Renunciation and son's NS liability

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 10 May 2019 8:56 pm

1. No
2. Yes you should renounce your son's PR immediately.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Jenny12321

Post by Jenny12321 » Fri, 10 May 2019 9:41 pm

PNGMK wrote:1. No

Thank you for your reply! Just want to check one more thing with you. My daughter of 25 years old is waiting for citizenship application results. If I renounce my son's PR now, will it affect my daughter's application for citizenship?

I heard that it will be fine as long as I renounce my son's PR before his 13 years old. Is it true that as long as I renounce his PR before 13 years old, he will not be liable for NS? Thank you so much!! :D :D

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 11 May 2019 10:52 pm

Jenny12321 wrote:
PNGMK wrote:1. No

Thank you for your reply! Just want to check one more thing with you. My daughter of 25 years old is waiting for citizenship application results. If I renounce my son's PR now, will it affect my daughter's application for citizenship?

I heard that it will be fine as long as I renounce my son's PR before his 13 years old. Is it true that as long as I renounce his PR before 13 years old, he will not be liable for NS? Thank you so much!! :D :D
1. I don't know.
2. It's not quite that simple. You probably should speak to CMPB as well and inform them of your intention not to return and your son's intention to migrate permanently back to his home country.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!