Singapore Expats

Repatriation cost: only for foreign worker or his family too?

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
gra_k

Repatriation cost: only for foreign worker or his family too?

Post by gra_k » Thu, 09 May 2019 6:10 pm

Hi
I have a couple of questions related to repatriation costs.
1. What does repatriation costs entails: air ticket AND all luggage costs (lets say i have 5 luggages, airticket includes 2)? In the website it says: "Bear the cost of repatriation, including buying an air ticket with check-in luggage allowance" - anything else i can claim?

2. does employer choose the flight and date that i fly back? I already purchased my ticket, economy class.

3. i came here as an EP, my husband moved with me as a DP, without a job. Does employer have to pay for his air ticket as well?

4. what if company refuses to pay for my husband's ticket, how do i dispute it? is it a long and complex process, requires me to hire a lawyer?

Thanks for the support.
Best

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Re: Repatriation cost: only for foreign worker or his family too?

Post by bro75 » Fri, 10 May 2019 8:56 am

It depends on the contract you signed.
For many foreigners who work in Singapore, they are signed on local contracts meaning the employer does not assume any cost relating to relocation, repatriation, lodging, and others.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 10 May 2019 9:18 am

all of those questions should be able to be handled by HR in your husband's new company or by their own relocation experts. No you should not need a lawyer.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

gra_k

Post by gra_k » Fri, 10 May 2019 11:18 am

My contract does not say anything related to repatriation. but MOM website says:
"All employers who wish to bring in foreign employees are required to bear the full costs of employing them, including the cost of repatriation. Unless the pass holder gives consent, the employer is responsible for sending an Employment Pass or S Pass holder home at the end of employment."
so my company is paying for my air ticket.

what is not clear is if it is for only employee or for family as well (when we came to SG, company paid for his ticket).

Then, my hubby is working at my company and HR/legal team is saying they dont have to pay... but it doesnt make sense. cause the repatriation exist bc Singapore does not want people to stay back once visa is over because people dont have money to pay back for their ticket back. so that should be company's expense no?

Wong_Jnr
Regular
Regular

Post by Wong_Jnr » Fri, 10 May 2019 11:38 am

"at the end of employment"
I think the interpretation of this is the key.
Were you on a fixed term contract that has now ended? I would then expect this repatriation stipulation is relative.

If you're on a permanent contract I wouldn't think it would be applicable as either, you've resigned, so as it's your choice why should the company pay, you've been sacked, again why would the company pay or your EP renewal has been denied. Perhaps the only case on a permanent contract I would see them paying repatriation is if you were made redundant.

I would just ask MOMs for clarification, they don't bite and are in fact very helpful.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 10 May 2019 2:36 pm

For EP holders I reckon it is whatever was agreed to in the employment contract. However, for S & WP holders the employer is liable for basic repatriation costs regardless of it being end of contract, termination, or resignation or inability to get work pass renewed. The only obvious exception is if the employee did a runner.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers