Relocating EP credentials

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
beu_clon1980

Relocating EP credentials

Post by beu_clon1980 » Tue, 07 May 2019 10:03 pm

Hi All,

I've read most of the threads on getting a job/visa in Singapore so I'm trying not to cover old ground. I’ve also read that the job market in general has tightened significantly and I’d really appreciate people’s thoughts as I’m only starting out on this journey.

By way of background, I’m based in the UK and I've a degree, masters and ACA with 5 years strong finance experience. My plan is to apply for finance roles now and go over in July for interviews etc. My hope is to secure a job and relocate in September with my girlfriend.

Maybe I'm being naive but I think I should have a fairly decent chance of securing an EP. Although I think my girlfriend may have a harder time in securing an EP (less credentials and experience) I’d imagine she would be applying for an SP.

My queries are as follows:

What are my chances with my background in securing an EP?

Assuming I get a job, would my girlfriend have a better chance of securing an SP if she relocated with me and spent her tourist visa time (90 days) interviewing/networking etc?

Strong Eagle

Re: Relocating EP credentials

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 07 May 2019 11:12 pm

If you have read my posts on the subject, you know that my estimate of the probability of you getting an EP, coming in cold, are close to zero. Why should a company take the risk and expense of importing someone when local talent is available, and particularly when the government is putting thumb screws to all companies to hire local.

Ditto for your girlfriend, with even less chance.

PNGMK
Answers: 1

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 08 May 2019 12:03 pm

Finance (unless transferred in) is not easy to find a job in. The MNC's will have people they can pull in from other locations and the SME's will be hiring locals or Malaysians.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Wong_Jnr
Regular
Regular

Post by Wong_Jnr » Wed, 08 May 2019 4:02 pm

beu_clon1980 wrote:By way of background, I’m based in the UK and I've a degree, masters and ACA with 5 years strong finance experience. My plan is to apply for finance roles now and go over in July for interviews etc. My hope is to secure a job and relocate in September with my girlfriend.
...and they'll be hundreds like you with better regional/global experience and either be a SC/PR or expat in front of you in the queue. You just do NOT have a skill set that is in short supply here.

Go find a company in the UK that has presence in Singapore, work for them for several years and then hope to get transferred.
I know because that's how I've achieved it.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 08 May 2019 8:59 pm

Wong_Jnr wrote:...and they'll be hundreds like you with better regional/global experience and either be a SC/PR or expat in front of you in the queue.
And... they speak at least one of the local languages, other than English, and for the guys, they've built a network through national service.