Singapore Expats Forum

Is it ez 2 get frozen 2 death when going outdoor in winter?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

mystic law

Is it ez 2 get frozen 2 death when going outdoor in winter?

Postby mystic law » Tue, 08 Mar 2005 10:00 pm

I never experience winter b4. Is it easy to get frozen to death in winter?

Thanks for feedback from people who experienced winter before.

========
Another cold weekend for Britain
Britain is facing another bitterly cold weekend with more sleet and snow forecast for parts of the country.

Conditions on Saturday will be cold, windy and showery, with the western coastline due to be the sunniest areas.
The prolonged cold snap bought the 13th consecutive day of sleet or snow to parts of the country on Friday, with Kent, East Anglia and London hit hard.

Hundreds of schools were also closed and gritters remain on standby to clear roads affected by treacherous ice.

There was up to two inches of snow in some areas on Friday and the coldest temperature recorded was -8.5C (17F) at Redhill, Surrey.

More snow

Forecaster John Hutchinson said there would be more sleet, with snow on higher ground, in eastern areas on Saturday. He said: "It looks like being cold until early next week, with temperatures rising for a few days before falling back again.

RAC spokesman Rob Maynard said: "There's an ice warning for the whole of Kent - drivers should keep a big distance between themselves and the vehicle in front.

"It's also pretty slippery on the roads in Sussex, and other counties reporting problems are Suffolk and Derbyshire." Meanwhile, police in County Durham continue to investigate the death of a nurse found dead in a snow-covered playing field.

Overcome by cold

It is feared Shelley Whitfield, 21, may have been overcome by the cold.
Her body was discovered by a man out walking his dog in Brandon on Wednesday morning, just 500 yards from her flat.
Elsewhere on Friday, Luton and Stansted airports were temporarily closed to clear runways.

Kent County Council said 103 schools were closed on Friday compared with 272 the day before. In Norfolk, more than 130 of the 453 local authority schools were closed, and in Suffolk, around 150 were shut.

Bright and cold

Cambridgeshire County Council said a handful had closed in the county.
While Sunday will be a bright and cold day in most areas, plus scattered snow in south-east England, relief may come on Monday with higher temperatures.

A Highways Agency spokesman said that in close consultation with the Met Office, it was still on full alert and ready to help if necessary.
Both the agency and the AA warned drivers to take care in the icy conditions.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

eh+lah

Postby eh+lah » Wed, 09 Mar 2005 1:13 am

umm frozen to death in the UK, u've gotta be kidding! wait till u come to canada :) currently at -25C windchill. earlier this january we had up to -36C.

moloch71
Regular
Regular

Postby moloch71 » Wed, 09 Mar 2005 9:44 am

Its pretty difficult to get frozen to death without knowing it. Most people I have heard that die, was either because they could not do anything about it, or they are fraile and elderly and being cold has weaken their immune systems.

When you get cold, your core body temperature drops. The first signs of this is hypothermia, where you shiver uncontrollably. Its quite an odd sensation, if you find your teeth chattering this is very early signs. Nothing to worry about, its when your internals quiver in a funny shake, then you are pretty cold. I've experienced it myself on probably 3-4 occurances.

The next sign of being too cold, is loss of sensation in your extermities, the body conserves heat by reducing blood to your fingers, and you'll find you dont have much control over them anymore. Your mind will begin to slow down too, and you'll have difficulty performing complex tasks.
There is a chance at this stage you might get extreme frost bite, but thats more a thing for mountain climbers who have to get bits amputated (eww)

At some stage you'll loose conciouness. From most external outward signs you'll appear lifeless. Slow heartbeat (as low as 1/min), cold rigid body, no pupil response; even experienced paramedics have mistaken an extreme hypothermia patient as having died.

Anyway, the above is all Ive learnt doing survival courses, these are more applicable to being immersed in cold water, where your body temperature drops faster.

As for being cold in England, just learn to rug up, more to keep yourself from getting sick. And no taking naps on the comfy snow because you are feeling tired and sleepy :p

Personally, I find snow nice to visit, but it would be a pain to live with it around you.

Cheers !

Postby Guest » Wed, 09 Mar 2005 10:11 am

yeah i think we've got enough cold weather here to last us till next winter thank you very much. it's currently -20ºC windchill. absolutely freezing now that the sun's gone to bed.

in any case, my personal advice, be prepared. it's not abt the cold weather, it's about how appropriate you dress. always carry a jacket with you, EVEN if it's warm in the day, a cold snap and you'll be left freezing. trust me, you don't want to go through that.

seraphim
Reporter
Reporter

Postby seraphim » Wed, 09 Mar 2005 3:24 pm

Er, I think it might be possible in Kazakhstan. :lol:

madwolfie
Manager
Manager

Postby madwolfie » Wed, 09 Mar 2005 5:34 pm

*looks at Seraphim* yah... somehow you only managed to cite that as an example eh? 8) Just digging at ya... :lol:

seraphim
Reporter
Reporter

Postby seraphim » Wed, 09 Mar 2005 7:33 pm

:oops: you know me....I'm a sour grape when it comes to this. *shrugs*

guest 97x38

2 cold

Postby guest 97x38 » Wed, 09 Mar 2005 7:49 pm

Jeez u guys, what a question. If people couldn't manage to survive colder temperatures, what do think they've been doing for all those millenia in those places already. There have been people in very cold places and not only surviving, but thriving. So even say, a thousand years ago, would you rather be in Norway, or some nice warm place like Nigeria, or Bangladesh?

ringo100
Chatter
Chatter

Postby ringo100 » Wed, 09 Mar 2005 8:59 pm

I've heard of of occations in the UK of people walking home after the pub too pissed and without a proper coat, falling over and freezing to death. So it can happen.

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Wed, 09 Mar 2005 10:38 pm

ringo100 wrote:I've heard of of occations in the UK of people walking home after the pub too pissed and without a proper coat, falling over and freezing to death. So it can happen.

Err, not merely "falling over" (unless this is some British euphemism?), but passing out so you become unconscious. Doing this outside in winter is a pretty good way to get hypothermia, although actual death usually requires finding a good hiding place first...

eh+lah

Postby eh+lah » Thu, 10 Mar 2005 3:56 am

kinda makes people wanna think twice abt going home drunk alone in the cold right?

solution: house party, your house. takes you out of that equation. or else sleep over at someone else's house party