Singapore Expats Forum

Where to buy rockwool/stonewool/any other sound absorption material?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.

Sponsored by:
Image
AE Logistics - Singapore Movers

User avatar
Lophophora
Member
Member
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue, 01 Mar 2016

Where to buy rockwool/stonewool/any other sound absorption material?

Postby Lophophora » Thu, 04 Apr 2019 5:32 pm

Hi,

I'm looking for rockwool or stonewool, or any of the stuff that is usually used to insulate and soundproof an interior room. That's no surprise given the climate here, rockwool seems to be impossible to find (at least at the hardware sores I've been to).

Any idea where I can get that? What do they use in Singapore to fill the interior walls inside houses?

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11376
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Re: Where to buy rockwool/stonewool/any other sound absorption material?

Postby Strong Eagle » Thu, 04 Apr 2019 8:22 pm

The interior walls of many/most Singapore homes (semd-D, landed, low rise condos) are made of brick. 2 x 4 construction of hollow walls covered with sheetrock, as found in the USA, is non-existent. condos may be a different story.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9364
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Re: Where to buy rockwool/stonewool/any other sound absorption material?

Postby x9200 » Thu, 04 Apr 2019 8:36 pm

Lophophora wrote:Hi,

I'm looking for rockwool or stonewool, or any of the stuff that is usually used to insulate and soundproof an interior room. That's no surprise given the climate here, rockwool seems to be impossible to find (at least at the hardware sores I've been to).

Zillions of places around. Enough to google and call them.

User avatar
Lophophora
Member
Member
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue, 01 Mar 2016

Re: Where to buy rockwool/stonewool/any other sound absorption material?

Postby Lophophora » Fri, 05 Apr 2019 12:12 am

x9200 wrote:Zillions of places around. Enough to google and call them.


Well I don't need zillions, just one would work for me. The reason I made this post in the first place is because I did just what you suggest and I couldn't find any. I tried SunHee Hardware Paint & Electrical, Horme Hardware, HardwareOnline.com.sg and a number of online stores. I'll keep trying, there must be a way to find this here.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9364
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Re: Where to buy rockwool/stonewool/any other sound absorption material?

Postby x9200 » Fri, 05 Apr 2019 4:00 am

Lophophora wrote:
x9200 wrote:Zillions of places around. Enough to google and call them.


Well I don't need zillions, just one would work for me. The reason I made this post in the first place is because I did just what you suggest and I couldn't find any. I tried SunHee Hardware Paint & Electrical, Horme Hardware, HardwareOnline.com.sg and a number of online stores. I'll keep trying, there must be a way to find this here.

We bought a roll of rockwool end of last year without any major problems and we were looking not just for any but for a specific density.

Perhaps the problem is you try to buy it from a hardware store? Its a construction material typically sold in rather large volumes. It occupies space and hardware stores are most often with limited floor sizes. Bricks, partition walls, large pieces of timber and slabs of stone don't belong there. Not in Singapore. No local Leroy Merlins, no Castoramas. Unfortunately.
Just google rockwool singapore and you will see a long list of local places.

BTW, have you handled rockwool before? I am asking because it's not such a nice material. It's like the name suggests a wool made of hard mineral stuff, small, glass-like fibers that break into micro-needles and can get through your skin, to your eyes etc. Nothing lethal for sure but without proper handling some itchy experience guaranteed.

User avatar
Lophophora
Member
Member
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue, 01 Mar 2016

Re: Where to buy rockwool/stonewool/any other sound absorption material?

Postby Lophophora » Sat, 06 Apr 2019 12:03 am

Almost none of the places I found on Google had Rockwool. However I went in an industrial park in Ang Mo Kio packed with small construction material places and I found some there.

I have never handled Rockwool myself but I have someone with expertise who will do it for me.

Thanks.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Staying, Living in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests