Singapore Expats

Transferwise do cheap transfers but more important can provide US, UK and Aus bank accounts

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Transferwise do cheap transfers but more important can provide US, UK and Aus bank accounts

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 25 May 2019 1:26 pm

Not sure why you can find where the Singapore office is, however it's only a corporate office and it's not open to the public as it's an online company. I guess you don't use PayPal either?

anyway, Google opens up the search with all the information you need....."Transferwise singapore office"
TransferWise Singapore Pte Ltd
66 Google reviews
Corporate office
Located in: Aperia Mall
Address: 12 Kallang Avenue, #03-20 Aperia, 339511
Hours:
Saturday Closed
Sunday Closed
Monday 9am–5pm
Tuesday 9am–5pm
Wednesday 9am–5pm
Thursday 9am–5pm
Friday 9am–5pm
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Re: Transferwise do cheap transfers but more important can provide US, UK and Aus bank accounts

Post by Max Headroom » Sun, 26 May 2019 11:34 am

Sorry SMS, in my humble opinion, the issue is not whether their office details can be found by searching Google. The Transferwise site show show all contact details loud and clear. It's a fintech.

I realize they're an online company, but I believe a main money centre the likes of Singapore warrants a local number, not some sketchy virtual arrangement.

I'm not holding my breath, but if they do call me back, I'll post it here.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 26 May 2019 1:20 pm

Maybe your idea of a money centre and their idea aren't the same? Anyway, I reckon with their rate of growth worldwide, losing one sceptic and gaining one won't bother them too much. (I was once a sceptic as well - that's why it took me a year to finish my initial application to them) ;-)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Max Headroom » Mon, 27 May 2019 7:55 am

True that, SMS.

Either way, I'm teetering at the moment, but will tip one way or the other by today.

That being said, it may be moot if and when GlobalCoin really does come to pass, as it could well render Transferwise, their copycats, as well as that infernal PayPal, as relevant as AltaVista.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 27 May 2019 8:41 am

I believe Transferwise are MAS "regulated". But yes they will disappear as soon as another better alternative comes along. I've met some of the transferwise people at a function here (AustCham) which I how I got to know about it so they are not entirely virtual.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Max Headroom » Tue, 28 May 2019 8:07 am

Well, they never called back and I have no missed calls, so AFAIC, they're a non-starter.

There's only one thing worse than a company ignoring you after you reach out to them and that's being a customer to a company ignoring you when you reach out to them.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 30 May 2019 7:44 pm

I'm not sure what you want here Max. Transferwise work. I suspect that they may start paying interest on their accounts soon which will completely flip the banking industry. Also I did dig around a bit on their website and they do seem to have the appropriate approvals. Also for a virtual business why are you trying to speak to them on a phone?

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Max Headroom » Sat, 01 Jun 2019 9:53 am

The main reason I'd like to explore them a bit is that PayPal has been getting greedy of late. One of my due diligence litmus tests when contemplating a new partner is to contact them, by email, by phone.

In the case of Transferwise, they're scoring 0 out of 2. They just didn't bother to get back to my mail, or call me back, in spite of their promise they would.

In addition, I came across a Transferwise query result link in Google that stated something along the lines of "Due to repeated bugs in our blah-blah funds transfer system, we've opted to do away with this system". When I clicked the link, I got a "404" in the Transferwise site.

That's 3 strikes.

I hear decent enough buzz about them, sure, but there's no way I'm going to chase up a company to please take my money. FT.

Bottom line, they've found a way to stretch out a few more years out of a system that, let's face it, is pretty antiquated. But I'm willing to wager you a dollar that they won't be around in 5 years.

Pay me in crypto, thanks :)

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 01 Jun 2019 10:37 am

If I really want to, I can find a way to diss anything in the world if I'm determined enough. Fair Go. By narrowing your criteria enough you got the answers you wanted.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 01 Jun 2019 12:58 pm

Ok. Well there are others like them around. I have met actual employees though here but didn't keep their cards. I have used TF for about 10 transfers - max was $5000 and never had an issue.

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Max Headroom » Fri, 07 Jun 2019 4:03 pm

A mate of mine has been keen to give them a go. Let's see what he comes up with.

Then again, if the recent buzz about GlobalCoin is true, we may all be using this token for online transfer of funds, even before this year is over. That is, those that have Facebook.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 14 Jun 2019 1:41 pm

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 14 Jun 2019 11:42 pm

Good post SMS. I expect to see them add more on to their business's soon. Payment systems (ala Square), investment platforms (interest paid) and possibly even loan platforms.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 30 Jun 2019 9:47 am

I have found a couple of shortfalls but also some positives.

AUD bank accounts can receive funds no problem but when sending AUD they can only send to Australian accounts (not my Singapore current AUD account with Maybank). I expect this will change. Also transferwise can only send to accounts which is limiting for some folk.

Second while they advertise a Mastercard debit card feature it is not available to Singapore residents yet I plan to get one and there is a work around if you set up transferwise with a non Singapore address.

However the positives are still in favour. One thing is being able to have Australian and USA bank accounts without Australian or USA ID checks or residency. It's a boon for the bankless. Just recently I used my USD account to avoid a forex cost when taking in large USD sum and paying it into a brokerage in USD.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 15 Jul 2019 12:41 pm

parkislee wrote:
Mon, 15 Jul 2019 11:25 am
I loved Transferwise but I started hating it! Before I was able to pay my remote staffs via my credit card from HK but these days Transferwise asking to deposit money to DBS bank which is bull***t to me. Why will I use it if I have to go through all the pains again? Did anybody has the same problem?
I noticed they have tightened up on a few things and I suspect it's around compliance and KYC.