Singapore Expats Forum

Is S$125,000pa any good

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

Shadow1

Is S$125,000pa any good

Postby Shadow1 » Mon, 07 Mar 2005 11:32 pm

I've just been offered a position with a major MNC Real Estate firm
with a salary of S$125k per annum, with health benefits, phone, no car allowance (not required). No housing allowance. The role will be at Associate Director level.

Currently earning A$120k per annum in Syndey and the above offer seems very low by comparison.

I have over 10 yrs experience in Corporate Real Estate (Degree Qualified) operating in Asia/Pac region. I believe I should be getting S$140 -150k per annum and taking S$20k of that as housing allowance.

Does anyone have any advice on salaries given my experience & the profession I work in?? Will probably doing some extensive travek in SE Asia with the role.

Secondly would the a housing allowance be taxable??

Help!

Thanks

DanLee

Postby DanLee » Tue, 08 Mar 2005 8:23 am

Is there a commission component? There must be some upside to this package since you're already earning more now. What's your motivation of even considering?

Having said that, Singapore is an excellent place to work in. Very safe and yet very open - the gateway to the world and land of many opportunities!

Shadow1

Postby Shadow1 » Tue, 08 Mar 2005 6:33 pm

DanLee - The job is not commission based it is corporate real estate i.e, property Advisory/Consulting. Motivation is having the experience to work in South East Asia and further career opportunities and earn $$$.

The salary on a net basis is higher than what I would be earning In Sydney. Though comapring gross to gross salaries, My Sydney salary is higher.

Its seems to mixed views on sites likes this, whether a straight salary fx conversion should be the bench mark to determine salary from to A$ to SGD$.

Many MNCs take the view of tax equalisation on the net effect salary when comparing salaries from country to country, not so much the gross aspect.

Any other thoughts anyone??

no

no

Postby no » Tue, 08 Mar 2005 8:37 pm

no terrible offer

marriedwithkids

Postby marriedwithkids » Tue, 08 Mar 2005 11:02 pm

depending on your spending habits. 125k can go helluva long way here!
Assuming you don't get a car, and get a place near the office, you will save a lot on the largest source of indirect taxation- cars.

Your after-tax dollars will be comparably higher than what you will have in Australia. Ask your prospective employer to work out the after tax dollars and do a comparison vs. what you're getting, and ask your employer to provide cost of living data.