Singapore Expats

Shop for clothes in Singapore...

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
nicolewwj

Shop for clothes in Singapore...

Post by nicolewwj » Sun, 24 Mar 2019 10:04 pm

Hi guys,

I'm a 27-yo who just moved to SG in early January this year from the US. At first, I was excited to see the sheer amount of shopping malls in the city - The whole city is basically a shopping mall! However, I realized very quickly that a lot of clothes sold in store are made of cheap polyester materials that are not breathable (polyester in the eternal humid summer? no thanks). And also, tbh, I don't think the styles here are very diverse. In my opinion, clothes here are just a little bit overly feminine for me.

I'm looking for clothes that are made of natural fibers, e.g. cotton, linen, and of simple designs (I shopped heavily at Madewell-esque stores in the US). Does anyone have any suggestions?

Also, just out of curiosity, why do clothes here have washing labels that say nothing about the actual materials of the clothes?

Thanks! :)

sheshen

Re: Shop for clothes in Singapore...

Post by sheshen » Wed, 27 Mar 2019 4:09 pm

Check out ESPRIT. Their cloths material is very good.
Uniqlo suitable for me, because I like colorful cloths.
PULL&BEAR also not bad.
:-"

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 27 Mar 2019 5:42 pm

Most clothes here are made by sweat shops and are cheap rip offs of the better know western brands. Be careful if you like real blue jeans like Levi's. The Levi's here (in Levi's shops) are cheap copies of those made in the west (US, Honduras, Mexico,etc., etc.) they are made in the 'peens and in China and are NOT cut for the western body shape (e.g., cut like small hotels) also the denim is an extremely light weight (probably around 10 oz) as well. Also you are likely to see Levi's here labeled as 501's but with zippers instead of button fronts. Also, for the western ladies you will also have problems with slack/jeans in general if you are a leggy type lady with legs that go from the floor all the way to heaven. You will find yourself with denim capri pants. The only exception I know here might be Marks & Spencer. Or tailor-made. Same if you are trying to buy nice foundation garments (Marks & Spencer or maybe one or two others but the price will blow your mind as they are likely to be located in Marina Bay Sands).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Ronald Cover

Post by Ronald Cover » Wed, 27 Mar 2019 8:13 pm

I recently moved to Singapore and out of habit buy things online. If you recommend local good shops I’ll be glad

Sy@rip@h

Post by Sy@rip@h » Wed, 23 Oct 2019 10:32 am

Uniqlo is a great place to start cause different kind of design and very good material, the t-shirt is cute too for both men and women.:)

joeyy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by joeyy » Wed, 23 Oct 2019 2:48 pm

Uniqlo, Cotton On, H&M are a few nice shop, with reasonable pricing.

Cotton on, not very recommended but always have big sales. Not recommended because after a few wash, the shirt will run out of shape. HAHA

But yea, again, cheap with average quality or expensive with good quality.