Singapore Expats

Can PRC driver license be used in Singapore on 6 month visit?

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
GSM8
Chatter
Chatter

Can PRC driver license be used in Singapore on 6 month visit?

Post by GSM8 » Sun, 24 Mar 2019 6:28 pm

Can a PR China driver license with official translation be used used to drive in Singapore on a 6 month visit? (its for my visiting father in law who knows driving well, but has not driven outside of China, and might need to drive my car occasionally while here)

I checked the Singapore Police web site on the topic and it only says:

"If you are staying in Singapore for a short period – for example, you are holding a short-term social visit pass – you do not need to convert to a Singapore licence to drive in Singapore.

You must possess a valid foreign licence and an International Driving Permit (IDP) issued by an authorised body in your own country, example the Automobile Association (AA). If an IDP is not available, an official translation of your foreign licence in English is required.

To continue driving in Singapore after 12 months of staying here (from the date of your last entry into Singapore), you must obtain a valid Singapore driving licence."

It seems like fairly straightforward info, but my doubt arose because in almost all other countries, China DL can not be used even temporarily - reciprocal treatment as China does not recognize foreign licence/IDP as they are not member of that convention. However, Singapore Police website makes no such explicit exclusion hence my doubt.

Appreciate info from anyone familiar. Thanks!

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Can PRC driver license be used in Singapore on 6 month visit?

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 24 Mar 2019 8:11 pm

Yes. The trigger point is really when a driver obtains a work pass of some sort or needs to drive a commercial vehicle. Make sure he is insured.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

GSM8
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Can PRC driver license be used in Singapore on 6 month visit?

Post by GSM8 » Mon, 25 Mar 2019 11:33 am

Thanks for that info PNGMK, noted both points.