Singapore Expats Forum

Singapore PR

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

quest

Singapore PR

Postby quest » Mon, 07 Mar 2005 11:03 pm

Hi,

Can somebody tell me what are the advantages of being a Singapore Permanent Resident?

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Mon, 07 Mar 2005 11:39 pm

Compared to an EP:

1) You only have to renew every 5 years instead of every 2 or 3.
2) You are not tied to a single employer. Under an EP, quitting your job means loss of immigration priveleges. Under PR, you can change jobs. However, being unemployed and not paying tax or CPF for an extended perios can result in the revocation of your PR.

QUEST

Postby QUEST » Mon, 07 Mar 2005 11:57 pm

i'VE JUST RENEWED MY EP AND NOW HOLDING AN S PASS. WHAT DO YOU THINK IS MY CHANCE? i CAN'T APPLY MY HUSBAND FOR S PASS DEPENDENT BEC.OF MY INSUFFICIENT SALARY. I JUST WANT TO APPLY BEC. OF HIM

guest1

PR & EP

Postby guest1 » Tue, 08 Mar 2005 11:46 am

hey!
wih regd to changing jobs while in EP there is a small change: now there has been a slight modification: ur EP will not be cancelled in the previous company till u find a new one!!! so no big deal being a PR or in EP now!!!:)i find EP more convinient than PR!!
but only hitch will hv to move like nomads !!! hehehe

jpatokal

Re: PR & EP

Postby jpatokal » Wed, 09 Mar 2005 11:14 pm

guest1 wrote:hey!
wih regd to changing jobs while in EP there is a small change: now there has been a slight modification: ur EP will not be cancelled in the previous company till u find a new one!!! so no big deal being a PR or in EP now!!!:)

Say what? How about a link to some sort of proof for this, preferably not written in SMSese?

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Thu, 10 Mar 2005 10:39 am

jpatokal wrote:Say what? How about a link to some sort of proof for this, preferably not written in SMSese?

From the MoM website

http://www.mom.gov.sg/MOM/CDA/0,1858,12 ... --,00.html

Change of Employer

"Where there is a change of employer, the Employment / S Pass holder is required to submit a new application. Each application made will be considered based on the merits of the case. Submission of new Employment / S Pass applications under a different employer can be made without the cancellation of existing Employment / S Pass."

Maybe this relieves MoM of the hassle of handling interim social visit passes?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 10 Mar 2005 3:18 pm

By my reading of the new changes it seems that you can now apply for a new EP while serving your notice out at your old job or during the 7 day period only. You still only have 7 days from your termination/resignation date to turn in your old EP.

With that in mind, I'd have to say the employment change factor still weighes in heavier for the PR than the EP.

sms

krishna.N

I want to apply PR

Postby krishna.N » Wed, 10 Aug 2005 4:38 pm

hi all,

I want to apply PR. I working since from 4 months here in singapore. Is it possible for me to get PR .Can anyone suggest me regarding this

guruvishwanath
Chatter
Chatter

Postby guruvishwanath » Wed, 10 Aug 2005 6:06 pm

Allow me to offer some personal insights on PRhood.

I have lived in Singapore for nearly 10 years now. I took my PR three years ago. I was on EP. When I came here in 96, there was only one class of EP. Somewhere around 1999/2000 they changed the system to P1/P2, Q1/Q2 etc. And to apply for a PR, you had to stay for a period of one year.

Rules have changed. I know that you dont have to qualify for length of period to apply for PR. But you need to have some set qualifications before you do so. Mind you! This is not iron clad. I have known top notch consultants in HP earning 5 figures a month, married and kids, had the PR rejected while someone earning a 3K a month in a trading company with family got his PR in one month. Both were Indians, both from same cities, belonging to same caste/religion etc. And both had lived in Singapore the same amount of time. So the Immigration will never tell you what they think is the actual rules for getting a PR. But generally a good job, good education background are considered to be key for a successful PR.

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Postby riversandlakes » Wed, 10 Aug 2005 11:27 pm

can you quote the URL on MOM's website that says this? this is intriguing indeed.

but i thought EP depends on the firm's sponsorship? else it's revoked? in case of an EP holder fired, how long does he have to find another job by holding onto the old EP? or must he exit and get his social visit pass renewed?

guest1 wrote:hey!
ur EP will not be cancelled in the previous company till u find a new one!!!
Goatboy will always cherish his former goatgirl.
But the world is full of fluffier ones.

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Postby riversandlakes » Wed, 10 Aug 2005 11:30 pm

this is of course assuming continuous period of employment. If MrA cannot find another job upon ending his services with CompanyA, his EP is rendered useless, correct?

Strong Eagle wrote:
jpatokal wrote:Say what? How about a link to some sort of proof for this, preferably not written in SMSese?

From the MoM website

http://www.mom.gov.sg/MOM/CDA/0,1858,12 ... --,00.html

Change of Employer

"Where there is a change of employer, the Employment / S Pass holder is required to submit a new application. Each application made will be considered based on the merits of the case. Submission of new Employment / S Pass applications under a different employer can be made without the cancellation of existing Employment / S Pass."

Maybe this relieves MoM of the hassle of handling interim social visit passes?
Goatboy will always cherish his former goatgirl.

But the world is full of fluffier ones.