Singapore Expats

Insurance and changing jobs

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
duluoz1

Insurance and changing jobs

Post by duluoz1 » Thu, 07 Mar 2019 11:09 am

Hi all,

I'm moving to a new job next month. My insurance is provided by my employer. I'm currently waiting to have an operation, that would have been covered by my current insurance.

Does anyone know if when I move company, my new insurance company will refuse to pay, as it's a pre-existing condition? I could probably just about manage to move the operation forward but it'd be difficult and would be better to wait, if possible. Just wondering if anyone else has any experience with this

Thanks all
Last edited by duluoz1 on Thu, 07 Mar 2019 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: Insurance and changing jobs

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 07 Mar 2019 11:24 am

You can only know the answer to this question by checking the details of the policy of your future employer. In my experience, and for group policies, there are generally exclusions for pre-existing conditions but there are time limits, usually 2 or 3 years, before the exclusion no longer applies. But again, you can't know without checking the policy.

duluoz1

Post by duluoz1 » Thu, 07 Mar 2019 11:33 am

Thanks Strong Eagle, that makes sense. I've asked the new provider, but not sure I'll get a response as I'm not officially an employee yet until I sign on the dotted line.

Another case of somebody relying on their employers insurance rather than getting their own, I'm afraid!

3carlos

Post by 3carlos » Fri, 17 May 2019 1:37 am

Singapore insurers are very sticky on pre-existing conditions, and while company insurance does provide cover for pre-existing conditions after a year, the condition must not be extremely serious and in the year from your addition to the company roster (and hence insurance), you must not claim for that condition.

High chance you won't be able to claim from your new provider.