What visa for spouse if income is low

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Post Reply
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri, 24 Nov 2017 1:42 am

What visa for spouse if income is low

Post by Natisu » Wed, 27 Feb 2019 7:38 pm

Hi all,
I read on the immigration website that a spouse can apply for his wife for the dependent visa or the Long term visit pass. However the spouse who wants to apply needs to earn 6K per months at least.
So does that mean, for example, if a foreign wife who will marry a Singaporean guy who earns less than 6 K won’t be able to get any kind of visa to stay with her husband? (In case the wife can’t get a job because of the tough job market)?
Or is there any other visa/pass or way the newly married foreign wife can stay with her husband? For example, can the wife directly after getting married apply for PR?

Would appreciate any advice!

User avatar
Posts: 38943
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 4
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: What visa for spouse if income is low

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 28 Feb 2019 10:04 am

It's possible but very rare, that you could apply for PR until you have been married and here for around 2 years. You would only be eligible for a LTVP/LTVP+ as the spouse of a Singaporean citizen. However, if you are from another Asian country, you may or may not be given an LTVP either if the husband cannot provide then necessary support which, while not benchmarked as such, it seems to be pegged somewhere around the $5,000/mo area. It's somewhat less than for an EP holder because of the subsidies that citizens enjoy whereas foreign EP holder have higher costs. But, the vetting process is much more stringent for a female from another Asian country because ICA tends to looks at them as marriages of convenience. So, if you have made a considerable number of trips to Singapore over the past couple of years, you might be in for a rough time. However, you won't know unless you try. But be prepared for the worst. (You need to apply for the premarriage LTVP application to be on the safe side. If you cannot get that, you may want to make sure your Singaporean boyfriend will be willing to immigrate to your country. Would his immigration to your country be okay for you? If not I would question the intent to marry if I were ICA.
Life isn't about avoiding the bruises. It's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it!

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests