Singapore Expats

Moving soon, thoughts on TV to bring or not bring?

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
dwascovich

Moving soon, thoughts on TV to bring or not bring?

Post by dwascovich » Tue, 26 Feb 2019 8:53 am

Hi Everyone,

I was a part of this forum 10 yrs ago, moved back to the US for work, and am now am bringing my family back to Singapore (we have a 1 yr old). My wife is from KL so its a nice move for us to be close to family.

Quick question I was hoping to get the forum's feedback on. Do US televisions work in SG? I have a pretty new 4K HDTV and really not sure if it is going to work, either because of the voltage, frame rate or if a Singtel cable box will work with the HDMI. I have read there is wonkiness with voltage, frame rates, etc.. but the posts I can find online are 4-5 yrs old. Anyone have thoughts on new TVs?

I really appreciate the help.

Best,

Dan

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: Moving soon, thoughts on TV to bring or not bring?

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 26 Feb 2019 9:40 am

The HDMI part will work OK... universal. The tuner (digital or analog) will not work for over the air TV. This probably doesn't matter very much as OTA TV in Singapore stinks and you'll be running off a cable box via HDMI anyway. Most electronics are universal power these days (120-240) but you ought to check yours since electronics manufactured specifically for the US market often are not dual voltage.

Unless your company is paying the freight to ship it, it will cost as much to ship as to buy a new one.

dwascovich

Post by dwascovich » Tue, 26 Feb 2019 11:36 am

Thanks Strong Eagle!

Makes sense and will check the dual voltage. I think we are getting a container as my company is paying freight, so trying to see what to bring. Would have plenty of room for the TV. No point in bringing a TV that ends up a black box though.

Thanks again,

Dan

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 28 Feb 2019 9:46 am

Actually most TVs sold in the US are *not* universal voltage, so be sure to check.

I went to a Costco before relocating back to SG about five years ago. Out of all of their TVs, only two models were 110-240. And the sales staff knew exactly which two, as he said there were visitors from China and Vietnam dropping in daily to pick some up and bring home :)

dwascovich

Post by dwascovich » Fri, 01 Mar 2019 6:51 am

Thanks zzm9980 that is great to know. It's crazy I see the same TVs double the price in SG than the US. It doesn't seem to be that way for all other electronics though.

After some research, I may go with palettes and not container after all, so might take Strong Eagle's advice and just buy new in SG, even though its double the cost. Really appreciate all the insight.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 01 Mar 2019 9:06 am

dwascovich wrote:It's crazy I see the same TVs double the price in SG than the US. It doesn't seem to be that way for all other electronics though.
You will soon see how the high costs of rents affect the prices of all sorts of merchandise. Rents are very high, therefore, unlike the USA, you won't find electronics stores keeping large inventory stocks on premises like they do at Best Buy, for example.

Smaller stocks mean that the distributor has to carry more inventory and that drives up his costs, which get passed onto the retailer. Moreover, transportation costs go up... instead of delivering a whole 18 wheeler full of goods, you've got lorry drivers going back and forth, carrying only small quantities of goods.

That's the red dot for ya!

dwascovich

Post by dwascovich » Fri, 01 Mar 2019 9:15 am

Thanks for the info. I have lived in SG before (2007-2009) and the rent was high even back then. But I am coming from San Francisco, where rents are now the highest in the world. I am saving money by moving back to SG :) Totally understand about the smaller stock. Just curious how some stuff (was researching musical instruments for instance) are roughly the same cost. I do not expect things to be cheaper, just was curious why TVs were so much more. Makes sense about the lorry drivers etc.. Thanks again!

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 01 Mar 2019 7:47 pm

TV's have incredibly low margins a friend who used to work for Samsung told me. Think single digits. A multi voltage PSU for a NAM only TV is a waste of margin for sure.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

The Ref
Chatter
Chatter

Post by The Ref » Sun, 03 Mar 2019 11:05 am

My *opinion* is that there are 2 main markets.
1. Local lives in HDB, Foreigner here to save some money
2. Local in condo, old money or Senior position, Foreigner in a senior position.

Market 1 has higher volumes and lower prices because of bulk and is by far the biggest market. Will have a large TV but probably not 4K smart tvs
Market 2 is image driven and willing to pay more

Market 1 is cheaper than Australia (my only comparison) but market 2 is much higher. 4K TVs are luxury items and low volume. My current 42" TV only cost about $500 about 4 years ago

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 04 Mar 2019 9:07 am

I bought an LG a few months ago (not 4k). It was < $200. I think 42" (the smallest I could find as I am not keep on huge TV's).
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!