Singapore Expats

How long does it take normally for HR to decide initial salary and relocation package for expats?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
jhk56

How long does it take normally for HR to decide initial salary and relocation package for expats?

Post by jhk56 » Mon, 25 Feb 2019 10:26 am

I had an job interview with the head of the department which I assume it would be my last.
He said he will definitely call be back with salary offer and relocation package after talking with HR.

But recruiter initially offered me this position so I contacted through recruiter after then.
Recruiter told me he would contact me back in 24 hours after talking with the head.
However, I couldn’t hear from the recruiter for about 3 days.

I’m not sure why the recruiter isn’t calling me back. There could be multiple issues. I just think it takes a bit time for HR to decide salary and relocation package for expats.
Can you guys give me some opinions on this?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: How long does it take normally for HR to decide initial salary and relocation package for expats?

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 25 Feb 2019 11:50 am

They definitely need more time IME.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

jhk56

Re: How long does it take normally for HR to decide initial salary and relocation package for expats?

Post by jhk56 » Mon, 25 Feb 2019 12:08 pm

PNGMK wrote:They definitely need more time IME.
I see, so the delay doesn't exactly mean that I didn't get the job or something right?
I firmly believe I nailed the interview so I was expecting a quick response.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 25 Feb 2019 12:25 pm

I would expect updates to start coming soon if the offer is coming.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

jhk56

Post by jhk56 » Mon, 25 Feb 2019 12:52 pm

PNGMK wrote:I would expect updates to start coming soon if the offer is coming.
I see and can I ask you another question?

Does recruiter normally reach out to several job applicants for one position and conduct interview?
or just one applicants to one position each?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 25 Feb 2019 3:18 pm

This is Singapore. Most recruiters here are not all that professional. They tend to use the shotgun approach for most positions. e.g., fire a large number of candidates that may or may not fit the bill and hope for a match. Or two or three. They will schedule as many interviews as they can in hopes that one will do the trick. They are NOT looking out for you, but looking out for themselves as the client pays the commission to them, not the candidate looking for a job (that is illegal in Singapore - although it is done but not in your face). Additionally, HR Departments tend to shotgun the JD to a fair number of body shops and as this is a rather small island, people send CV's to bodyshops here tend to send to as many as they can, so you end up with the same CV being sent to the Client by several bodyshops at the same time. The only practice that can be used is timestamping the time the CV arrived in their inbox. That is the agency that will get the nod to schedule the interview. It's a cut-throat operation here. HR departments are known to shop around as well and often sometimes send out JDs to fill non-existant positions but to fill out a tender exercise here (where the company letting the tender was to see a project management team by name and CV). So that's one that drags out and often is fruitless as they don't even get the nod by their client. It's frustrating to say the least.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

jhk56

Post by jhk56 » Mon, 25 Feb 2019 3:32 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:This is Singapore. Most recruiters here are not all that professional. They tend to use the shotgun approach for most positions. e.g., fire a large number of candidates that may or may not fit the bill and hope for a match. Or two or three. They will schedule as many interviews as they can in hopes that one will do the trick. They are NOT looking out for you, but looking out for themselves as the client pays the commission to them, not the candidate looking for a job (that is illegal in Singapore - although it is done but not in your face). Additionally, HR Departments tend to shotgun the JD to a fair number of body shops and as this is a rather small island, people send CV's to bodyshops here tend to send to as many as they can, so you end up with the same CV being sent to the Client by several bodyshops at the same time. The only practice that can be used is timestamping the time the CV arrived in their inbox. That is the agency that will get the nod to schedule the interview. It's a cut-throat operation here. HR departments are known to shop around as well and often sometimes send out JDs to fill non-existant positions but to fill out a tender exercise here (where the company letting the tender was to see a project management team by name and CV). So that's one that drags out and often is fruitless as they don't even get the nod by their client. It's frustrating to say the least.
Thank you for useful advice! Actually, my recruiter is UK based specialized recruitment firm.
The recruiter seemed professional but you are right in that client pays the commission not by me.

Always difficult to endure hiring procedures...

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by brian_singapore » Mon, 25 Feb 2019 5:00 pm

Hiring cycle in Singapore is very slow by western standards.

Recruiters often don't provide updates until they have something to tell you.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 26 Feb 2019 1:09 am

I'm a pessimist about this kind of thing. See, unless the Singapore company is specifically advertising for foreign talent, for example, to fill a specialized role that they haven't been able to fill in Singapore, even with poaching from other companies, or perhaps a Singapore firm seeking a foreign business development manager, I just don't see Singapore companies (or MNC's) hiring foreigners.

Why would they want to do it? It costs more. There are more unknowns. Backing out of the deal if the new employee proves to be a bomb is that much more difficult. It's much easier to hire away an EP from another company where you can get a background reference, hire someone who has at least a little bit of Asia experience, and you don't have to worry about relocation and all that hassle.

Thus, my guess is your recruiter is a good salesperson... got you far enough into the door to actually get you a phone interview. But now, the department head that interviewed you has cold feet, or, his boss has asked, "How come you're hiring a foreigner"? I think you may wait a long time.

That is, unless and again, you're a specialty item... top drawer salesperson getting ready to double the top line, or maybe a major infrastructure solutions architect... very hard to find. Or maybe, a research type who checks all the boxes for the Singapore government's "build the research" programs.

jhk56

Post by jhk56 » Tue, 26 Feb 2019 8:14 am

I see. Does recruiter normally email me when I didn't get the job or just not contact me?
Last edited by jhk56 on Tue, 26 Feb 2019 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 26 Feb 2019 9:34 am

jhk56 wrote:I see. Does recruiter normally email me when I didn't get the job or just not contact me?
You note that you have a UK recruiter as opposed to a Singapore based recruiter, and that, in and of itself, would give me some confidence that you wouldn't be treated as shabbily as you would by a Singapore recruiter. But, I don't know. I'd have to ask how well your recruiter knows the Singapore market. If she knows it well, then I'd expect my assumptions might be off base as she presumably knows how things work on the red dot.

There are many unanswered questions. For example, does is your UK recruiter part of a global organization like Robert Half? If not, then how did the recruiter vet the job opening for suitability to recruit... I mean, why waste time trying to fill a position if the company won't ever take your candidates.

Is the company a multi-national? While Asian HR departments aren't anything to write home about, they generally have a reasonably clear picture as to whether they can recruit other than locally. If you're working with a local firm, then unless you've got a specialized role, neither you nor your recruiter ought to hold your collective breaths for something to break loose.

jhk56

Post by jhk56 » Tue, 26 Feb 2019 9:49 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
jhk56 wrote:I see. Does recruiter normally email me when I didn't get the job or just not contact me?
You note that you have a UK recruiter as opposed to a Singapore based recruiter, and that, in and of itself, would give me some confidence that you wouldn't be treated as shabbily as you would by a Singapore recruiter. But, I don't know. I'd have to ask how well your recruiter knows the Singapore market. If she knows it well, then I'd expect my assumptions might be off base as she presumably knows how things work on the red dot.

There are many unanswered questions. For example, does is your UK recruiter part of a global organization like Robert Half? If not, then how did the recruiter vet the job opening for suitability to recruit... I mean, why waste time trying to fill a position if the company won't ever take your candidates.

Is the company a multi-national? While Asian HR departments aren't anything to write home about, they generally have a reasonably clear picture as to whether they can recruit other than locally. If you're working with a local firm, then unless you've got a specialized role, neither you nor your recruiter ought to hold your collective breaths for something to break loose.

Thanks for clear explanation. I am currently working in a specialized finance area which legal, culture, regulatory gaps between the countries are minor and the recruiter also has experience working in my field. The recruiter knows well about Singapore market due to his more than 20 years experience in the Asian market. I'm not sure whether recruitment agency is muli-national but surely its business is pretty large.

I also think he didn't shabbily treat me since he replied emails pretty fast before the interviews. This is why I don't understand this long delay.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 11 Mar 2019 1:46 am

Hey, jhk56! Curious to know if you've gotten any traction in your job search.

Thank you.