Singapore Expats

Question Re: EP Application during Nationality Change (and new passport)

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
pingsmile

Question Re: EP Application during Nationality Change (and new passport)

Post by pingsmile » Thu, 21 Feb 2019 12:35 am

Hello fellas, my family and I are relocating to Singapore in the summer on an EP for me and DPs for my husband and daughter. But my husband and I are at the last stage of naturalization in the US and we are waiting to hear from USCIS to schedule an oath ceremony, where they issue us nationality certificates with which we can apply for our new US passports. We currently have valid Chinese passports. My employer is asking to submit the application by the end of February, so we have to make a decision soon whether we should wait for our US passports or just use our current Chinese passports. I’d appreciate any advice on how to proceed.

So we are faced with two options:
1. Wait for US passports – but we don’t know how long this will take. We were told by mid-February but it’s already February 20.

2. Submit application using our current Chinese passports. Employer HR said if we get our US passports before arrival in Singapore, we can’t update MOM with our passport details until our case is approved. The question then is if the application is approved well ahead of our arrival, can we update nationality online and then arrive with our new passports? If there’s not enough time, can we travel to Singapore on different passports (our US passports instead of Chinese ones with the IPA letter)?

If not, we’ll have to use our Chinese passports to enter Singapore. The problem with that is that China does not allow dual citizenship. In principle, we’ll automatically lose our Chinese citizenship once we take on another nationality. But in practice, USCIS does not inform the Chinese government of our new nationality, so unless we go to the Chinese Embassy to apply for Chinese visas with our US passports, we may continue to use our Chinese passports. Anyone know the complications of doing that? I know we’d be in the gray area which I’ll try to avoid if at all possible. If we have to do this, would we have problem if we go to China after getting our EP and DP cards in Singapore before returning to the US?

cole20

Re: Question Re: EP Application during Nationality Change (and new passport)

Post by cole20 » Sat, 31 Oct 2020 10:47 pm

Hi pingsmile
Any advice from your side ? I am in a similar situation.
Thanks