Singapore Expats Forum

Health insurance for expat from UK

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.

DawnK

Health insurance for expat from UK

Postby DawnK » Wed, 20 Feb 2019 3:48 am

Hi Everyone

I'd like some guidance on what a 23 year old male coming from the UK for 1-2 years work would need in terms of health insurance. No current health issues but would like to have piece of mind. Essential are hospital emergencies but is it worth getting GP/dental cover as well or are the costs lower than in the UK? Where is the best place to get insurance from? should I look for a broker here or are there some local providers that I should use instead?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Re: Health insurance for expat from UK

Postby Barnsley » Wed, 20 Feb 2019 4:49 pm

DawnK wrote:Hi Everyone

I'd like some guidance on what a 23 year old male coming from the UK for 1-2 years work would need in terms of health insurance. No current health issues but would like to have piece of mind. Essential are hospital emergencies but is it worth getting GP/dental cover as well or are the costs lower than in the UK? Where is the best place to get insurance from? should I look for a broker here or are there some local providers that I should use instead?

Thanks in advance for any help.

The company where you will be working will surely provide some form of insurance cover. You can get additional personal insurance if you wish as the company insurance may not cover everything.

Probably not for dental , but they may cover a couple of trips a year for check-up but defo not serious dental treatment. This they would probably have to get separate insurance if they so wish.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Wed, 20 Feb 2019 10:07 pm

If your company doesn't provide any insurance, then it is possible to obtain a local insurance policy. However, be aware that such policies only cover you while in Singapore and if you are planning on traveling, you will also need to find a comprehensive medical traveler's policy.

More commonly, expats look at global health policies that cover the expat everywhere and offer things like evacuation if you're in a country with poor medical facilities and return home with permanent care for things like cancer.

DawnK

Postby DawnK » Thu, 21 Feb 2019 12:38 am

The company doesn't provide health cover unfortunately. I have had quotes from brokers in the UK starting at around £2K per year for Hospital/GP/Dental but wondered if the GP/Dental costs were worth covering. If I took out a local policy, I would take out further travel insurance for the trips abroad from Singapore.

Thanks for your response.

expathelper

Postby expathelper » Tue, 05 Mar 2019 3:50 pm

hi there,
hospitalisation plan in Singapore's gonna probably cost you somewhere around 1200/year, depending on which insurer you sign up with. Unfortunately, GP/Dental insurance is only covered under corporate insurance. I understand that some companies here give their employees a certain amount of money to purchase their own policies. Is that what your company is essentially doing? This amount of money should already have been factored into your monthly income.