Singapore Expats

National Service Obligation

Do you have a question about National Service (NS) in Singapore? Discuss it here.
kapear02

National Service Obligation

Post by kapear02 » Tue, 19 Feb 2019 7:56 pm

Dear all,

I would appreciate your input in this case. My nephew migrated to Perth, Australia when he was 11/12 years old. During the time of migrating to Perth, he did not applied for an exit permit. He was enrolled in an International School except for the last 3 months in a local school prior to leaving for Perth.

He was not issued with a Singapore IC nor have a Singapore passport. Upon reaching the age of 21 he applied to renounce his Singapore citizenship as he has Japanese citizenship which does not allow dual citizenship. His application was channeled through MINDEF and he was fined $500 for not applying for an exit permit. Having paid the fine he was allowed to renounce his Singapore citizenship successfully.

He is now planning to visit Singapore and is worried of any further consequences upon arrival into Singapore. Would appreciate if you could offer some insight into this case.

Thank you for all your input..Regards Stephen

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: National Service Obligation

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 19 Feb 2019 9:25 pm

Does he have any proof he has no NS obligation in writing? I think he's ok myself.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

kapear02

Post by kapear02 » Wed, 20 Feb 2019 7:30 am

No he does not have any proof. Not sure whether MINDEF will give this in writing. Thanks for your reply.
Appreciate if Mad Scientist could comment also...Thank you

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Sun, 30 Aug 2020 7:22 am

kapear02 wrote:
Wed, 20 Feb 2019 7:30 am
No he does not have any proof. Not sure whether MINDEF will give this in writing. Thanks for your reply.
Appreciate if Mad Scientist could comment also...Thank you
If you said that he was fine for $500.00 for not applying EP , the guardian surely has a record on that particular fine. He has successfully renounce his citizenship via ICA / CMPB he should receive a letter stating he is no loner a SG citizen. It is a very short two statement letter . Surely you have this.

If yes, he should be fine. If not you are not telling the whole picture coz I find it quite strange just a slap of $500 fine and allowed to renounce after that. Maybe the officer that attended his case is on drugs that day
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!