Singapore Expats

EP is it time based

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Duboo

EP is it time based

Post by Duboo » Sun, 06 Mar 2005 10:45 pm

Can anyone tell me whether the EP is valid for a year and has to be renewed every year???

MWP

Post by MWP » Sun, 06 Mar 2005 11:45 pm

No, EP is just another word for citizenship. Come and enjoy!

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 07 Mar 2005 7:39 am

The normal length of time for an EP is two years, at which time it must be renewed. If you are a solid tax paying worker, and your company will allow it, you can usually apply for a PR. PR's are renewed every five years.

Duboo

Post by Duboo » Mon, 07 Mar 2005 7:20 pm

Thanx for the info... just one more clarification my employer the Ep would be valid for a year then he has to renew it... is it actually ep or he is just playing ... well my salary would be around 5.7kSGD

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 07 Mar 2005 8:34 pm

The MoM website says that a first time EP can be issued for "up to two years". I have no idea what criteria are used to determine the length of time that is granted.

As for your employer playing games, I doubt it. He's got to file lots of paperwork to justify the EP, and he must meet ratios of locals to EP's. Unless he only intends to keep you around for a year, I'd guess that he'd rather get the EP for as long as possible.