Singapore Expats

Can I be exempted from NS?

Do you have a question about National Service (NS) in Singapore? Discuss it here.
Liquorice

Re: Can I be exempted from NS?

Post by Liquorice » Fri, 01 May 2020 8:26 pm

Ultimately the Singaore govt can reject citizenship applications from NSmen who served as PRs for any reason. In fact, they don't have to give a reason- there is no judicial review of such decisions- so how do you know the reasons for rejection are reasonable?
All I'm saying is that the public policy reasons gven in the past for PRs serving NS are spurious. In any case it is what it is.
You are right about families needing to consider the impact of their decisions on their children's future. Ideally children should not be given a PR status without having first achieved majority, so that they can make their own minds up. Later on in life, if they want to apply for PR, they can do so based on their own merits.

The impact of granting Sngapore PR and placing NS obligations on someone can be onerous. Examples are:
1. Korean/Taiwan/Israeli/Norwegian/Turkish citizens with Singapore PRs having to do 2 stints of NS (once in Singapore, once in the home country);
2. Indonesian citizens being arrested upon arrival in Indonesia for a joint Singapore-Indonesian military exercise whilst serving their NS in the Singapore army;
3. Serving NS as PR, and then having Singapore citizenship application rejected, without knowing the reason why.
4. Singapore military secrets being leaked to Malaysian and indonesian govt. This is 100% certain to have occured over the years;
Last edited by Liquorice on Fri, 01 May 2020 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Re: Can I be exempted from NS?

Post by singaporeflyer » Fri, 01 May 2020 9:02 pm

Liquorice wrote:
Fri, 01 May 2020 8:26 pm
Ultimately the Singaore govt can reject citizenship applications from NSmen who served as PRs for any reason. In fact, they don't have to give a reason- there is no judicial review of such decisions- so how do you know the reasons for rejection are reasonable?
All I'm saying is that the public policy reasons gven in the past for PRs serving NS are spurious. In any case it is what it is.
You are right about families needing to consider the impact of their decisions on their children's future. Ideally children should not be given a PR status without having first achieved majority, so that they can make their own minds up. Later on in life, if they want to apply for PR, they can do so under their own steam, and based on their own merits.

The impact of granting Sngapore PR and placing NS obligations on someone can be onerous. Examples are:
1. Korean/Taiwan/Israeli/Norwegian/Turkish citizens with Singapore PRs having to do 2 stints of NS (once in Singapore, once in the home country);
2. Indonesian citizens being arrested upon arrival in Indonesia for a joint Singapore-Indonesian military exercise whilst serving their NS in the Singapore army;
3. Serving NS as PR, and then having Singapore citizenship application rejected, without knowing the reason why.
4. Singapore military secrets being leaked to Malaysian and indonesian govt. This is 100% certain to have occured over the years;
Most of them who serve NS, unless there is something really problematic, get citizenship approved. Please go and read the statistics.