Singapore Expats

Freelancing from sg with foreign entities only

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: Freelancing from sg with foreign entities only

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 12 Mar 2019 11:03 pm

tiktok wrote:Just had a chat with IRAS who pointed me to this link: https://www.iras.gov.sg/irashome/Indivi ... Employers/

And told me based on this, yes, I will need to pay tax.

However the condition is that services must be "rendered in Singapore". In my case I do IT work purely on servers outside of Singapore. So maybe I can get out of it...
I have spoken to IRAS about this. If you are physically located in Singapore, then you are rendering services in Singapore, even if you are working on a server in Mongolia. You have a computer and network connection in Singapore.

JPLM

Post by JPLM » Thu, 09 Jun 2022 4:22 am

Hi everyone
Found this forum and this topic quite informative however after checking the IRAS website I found this statement…

“ Generally, overseas income received in Singapore by you is not taxable and need not be declared in your Income Tax Return. This includes overseas income paid into a Singapore bank account.”…

https://www.iras.gov.sg/taxes/individua ... m-overseas[/code][/code]

I will shortly move to Singapore as DP and I intend to work for my current employer as a freelance from Singapore, having resigned from my current position.
This company has no ties to Singapore and according to the IRAS website I do not need to pay income tax.
What I don’t understand is how to setup a contract and/or invoices to claim worked hours from my employer.

Is there anywhere i can find examples here of?

Thanks already for the help!

Cheers
JP

Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 23

Post by Myasis Dragon » Fri, 10 Jun 2022 1:21 am

JPLM wrote:
Thu, 09 Jun 2022 4:22 am
Hi everyone
Found this forum and this topic quite informative however after checking the IRAS website I found this statement…

“ Generally, overseas income received in Singapore by you is not taxable and need not be declared in your Income Tax Return. This includes overseas income paid into a Singapore bank account.”…

https://www.iras.gov.sg/taxes/individua ... m-overseas[/code][/code]

I will shortly move to Singapore as DP and I intend to work for my current employer as a freelance from Singapore, having resigned from my current position.
This company has no ties to Singapore and according to the IRAS website I do not need to pay income tax.
What I don’t understand is how to setup a contract and/or invoices to claim worked hours from my employer.

Is there anywhere i can find examples here of?

Thanks already for the help!

Cheers
JP
You are one of many who misinterpret this statement. It means that if you are working overseas and are tax resident, ie, paying taxes overseas, you do not pay Singapore taxes even if the money is paid into a Singapore bank account.

Example: As a Singapore citizen, I work in KL for six months for the KL branch of my company. They still pay me in Singapore. I am tax resident in Malaysia and pay income tax there. I do not pay tax on the money in Singapore.

You, as a legal resident of Singapore, you are earning your money in Singapore. Therefore, you pay taxes in Singapore, no matter where you are actually working, ie, where your remote job is located.