Singapore Expats

House renting with a power of attorney

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
sanjaya22

House renting with a power of attorney

Post by sanjaya22 » Tue, 15 Jan 2019 10:37 pm

Hi Expats,

I am about to rent out an entire unit in Singapore via an agent. The house owner is at abroad as per the agent and showed me a power of attorney but didn't allow me to take a picture of that saying that it is a court document.

I never have seen an ID of the house owner but agent provided her NRIC number and signed a rental agreement with owners signature. The agent has a company ID. The agent showed me a letter from HDB regarding the authorization for rent out which is to be expired in 6 months.The agent said the owner will apply for an extension in future. my lease is 1 year.
So my question is, will I be in trouble in future? Is there any precautions I can take now ? or is it normal in Singapore?

Search By

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: House renting with a power of attorney

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 16 Jan 2019 9:01 am

Do you have the owners NRIC? It sounds as though the rental is authorised and legit but the primary issue here is if you need to sue the owner (for return of deposit for example) you need to know who to sue and it sounds like they're trying to hide that. It's a renters market so if they don't agree to disclose the owners details (preferably a copy of her NRIC and actual address) then I would move on.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 16 Jan 2019 12:52 pm

sanjaya22 wrote:Hi Expats,

I am about to rent out an entire unit in Singapore via an agent. The house owner is at abroad as per the agent and showed me a power of attorney but didn't allow me to take a picture of that saying that it is a court document.
Surely POA is not a court document and I am pretty sure any agent should know it.

MikeJones
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by MikeJones » Wed, 16 Jan 2019 1:42 pm

Googling here https://singaporelegaladvice.com/law-ar ... o-get-one/ it seems that HDB POAs are filed with the courts in Singapore. Not really sure that this makes it a court document or why that would prevent you from having a photo for your records.

Mike

sanjaya22

Post by sanjaya22 » Wed, 16 Jan 2019 3:11 pm

PNGMK wrote:Do you have the owners NRIC? It sounds as though the rental is authorised and legit but the primary issue here is if you need to sue the owner (for return of deposit for example) you need to know who to sue and it sounds like they're trying to hide that. It's a renters market so if they don't agree to disclose the owners details (preferably a copy of her NRIC and actual address) then I would move on.
I demanded it. Then agent sends me the owner's ID even though it blurring his birthday and race.But I do not have his address or phone number.

sanjaya22

Post by sanjaya22 » Wed, 16 Jan 2019 3:12 pm

x9200 wrote:
sanjaya22 wrote:Hi Expats,

Surely POA is not a court document and I am pretty sure any agent should know it.
Thanks

sanjaya22

Post by sanjaya22 » Wed, 16 Jan 2019 3:13 pm

MikeJones wrote:Googling here https://singaporelegaladvice.com/law-ar ... o-get-one/ it seems that HDB POAs are filed with the courts in Singapore. Not really sure that this makes it a court document or why that would prevent you from having a photo for your records.

Mike
Thanks Mike