Singapore Expats

DP application with very old criminal conviction

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
sing_move

DP application with very old criminal conviction

Post by sing_move » Thu, 10 Jan 2019 11:57 pm

I apologize if this has already been addressed in a previous forum. If it has I’ve been unable to find it. I am applying for a DP and have a 20+ year old shoplifting conviction. I have never had issues with this conviction causing issues with anything job related in the US. I’ve also been approved for US global entry as well – although I did disclose this and it did show up in their background check – so I know it is probably still out there and searchable. My spouse’s EP application is very strong – executive level position – high salary, etc. for whatever that is worth. What are the chances that my application will be rejected and if it is was what other options do I have (any other visa’s I could apply for etc)? I have a US passport. Thanks for any help / guidance.

The Ref
Chatter
Chatter

Re: DP application with very old criminal conviction

Post by The Ref » Fri, 11 Jan 2019 12:47 am

From memory it only asks if you have had a criminal conviction in the last X years (which I think was 7 years). I had to get a criminal history but that was for the company I was hired by, not the Government.
Basically the DP is the best chance you have other than your own Employment Pass or Investors pass.

sing_move

Post by sing_move » Fri, 11 Jan 2019 12:55 am

thanks for your reply The Ref. Unfortunately the question is "Have you ever been convicted in a court of law in any country?" so there is no time limit as to how far back they go apparently. For global entry they also stated the question this way but in reality they only go back 10 years. Didn't know if it was a similar situation here.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 11 Jan 2019 9:01 am

I would disclose it. I doubt it will cause issues. Not disclosing it and have it turn up will be far worse.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 11 Jan 2019 9:20 am

Disclose it. It should not impact a DP application, but not disclosing it and having it turn up definitely will.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sing_move

Post by sing_move » Fri, 11 Jan 2019 10:49 am

thank you PNGMK and sundaymorningstaple for your replies. I do plan on disclosing it. It is reassuring to know that you don't think this will cause issues for me. Appreciate your time.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 11 Jan 2019 10:55 am

Singapore has a fairly progressive view on these matters surprisingly. They believe far more in rehabilitation than life long punitive measures... except for drug traffickers.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

sing_move

Post by sing_move » Fri, 25 Jan 2019 11:09 pm

My initial DP application was rejected. My spouse's EP was approved as were the DP's of our children. We are being told to appeal by submitting a 'company sponsored' letter to MOM. Does anyone have experience with this and the likelihood that this will work? Obviously I cannot address the underlying cause of my rejection unless I can go back in time 20 years.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 26 Jan 2019 11:43 am

sing_move wrote:My initial DP application was rejected. My spouse's EP was approved as were the DP's of our children. We are being told to appeal by submitting a 'company sponsored' letter to MOM. Does anyone have experience with this and the likelihood that this will work? Obviously I cannot address the underlying cause of my rejection unless I can go back in time 20 years.
Was the nature of your offense communicated anyway in the application? I also think 20yo shoplifting should not matter that much, but if nothing was explained then it left space for speculation (drugs related etc.).

sing_move

Post by sing_move » Sat, 26 Jan 2019 11:00 pm

Yes it was. I communicated that the offense occurred in 1998, that I paid a small fine, served no time, and have not had a conviction since. In the letter I am communicating more detail such as that the charge was initially a misdemeanor but was reduced to an ordinance violation, the exact amount of the fine, and the approximate amount of the goods taken. I have a copy of the court record to back all of this up (the court record was expunged when it hit the 20 year mark) however this has not been submitted yet (should I do this??). If there are any other details you think would be useful please let me know. The appeal will be filed on Monday.

One other thing - the person submitting our paperwork says that if 'Yes' is checked for a prior conviction MOM will almost always reject the first application. Has anyone else heard this?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 27 Jan 2019 9:51 am

sing_move wrote:Yes it was. I communicated that the offense occurred in 1998, that I paid a small fine, served no time, and have not had a conviction since. In the letter I am communicating more detail such as that the charge was initially a misdemeanor but was reduced to an ordinance violation, the exact amount of the fine, and the approximate amount of the goods taken. I have a copy of the court record to back all of this up (the court record was expunged when it hit the 20 year mark) however this has not been submitted yet (should I do this??). If there are any other details you think would be useful please let me know. The appeal will be filed on Monday.

One other thing - the person submitting our paperwork says that if 'Yes' is checked for a prior conviction MOM will almost always reject the first application. Has anyone else heard this?
This I don't know but your rejection makes to me no practical sense with the time/magnitude of the offense and the other passes approved. Assuming these guys (ICA/MOM) know what they do, and I believe they do, I could only explain this as deliberate approach to send a message and also to check how badly the company wants to hire. So this person could be right.

I vaguely recall a thread (alas I could not find it) were somebody claimed he was approved for EP also with some old conviction record.

sing_move

Post by sing_move » Mon, 28 Jan 2019 11:32 pm

thanks x9200 for the response. Will update the thread once the results from my appeal are known.

sing_move

Post by sing_move » Thu, 21 Feb 2019 4:30 am

My DB was approved upon appeal. Apparently it is normal for the initial submission to be rejected if you check the 'conviction' checkbox and also the checkbox that indicates that you have been denied entry to any country. You then have to appeal with a company sponsored letter (or in my case my spouse's company). This was a little humiliating but hey whatever works. I hope this information helps someone else going through this. Thanks to everyone who contributed.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 21 Feb 2019 5:45 am

Great news! And thank you for the update. This is the kind of information that proves invaluable to others on down the road.

mpnyp

Post by mpnyp » Sat, 24 Apr 2021 5:22 am

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to add another data point now that I can. I was in the same situation as the OP, applying for a DP under my partner's EP with a very old misdemeanor on my record from when I was a teenager. I also had an almost identical application experience: sent in the application, got asked for more information from MOM, sent a few details, bit my nails, and had my EP approved within a week or two. Just wanted to add my experience for anyone else who is going through the same process and stumbles across this forum; I was so scared of having my application rejected, and this thread gave me enough hope to calm down a little bit.