Singapore Expats

Tourist visa expiry longer than EP

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
megadave

Tourist visa expiry longer than EP

Post by megadave » Thu, 10 Jan 2019 8:17 pm

Hi, I came to singapore last week on an EP pass but have already cancelled it because the job was terrible. I got a cancellation letter saying that I have 30 days to leave singapore, yet my passport says I have 90 days. WHich is correct? I would assume that if I cancelled my EP I would default back to my passport date

The Ref
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Tourist visa expiry longer than EP

Post by The Ref » Thu, 10 Jan 2019 9:14 pm

When an EP is cancelled you are automatically issued with a 30 day social visit pass regardless of what passport you hold. Note the 90 day initial visa would have been cancelled when the EP was issued, then when EP cancelled a new 30 day pass issued so you cant use the (cancelled) stamp in your passport.

You can request an extension or do a visa run - check here for all the previous info on a visa run.

megadave

Post by megadave » Thu, 10 Jan 2019 10:56 pm

"Note the 90 day initial visa would have been cancelled when the EP was issued"

The EP was issued before I arrived. I used the letter to get through immigration. I'll call MOM to confirm, thanks

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 10 Jan 2019 11:31 pm

When an EP is cancelled you get a 30 day SVP which cannot be extended. You will have to leave the country for a couple of weeks at the least. Even if you came here purely on a tourist visa of 90 days, if you go to Johor, Malaysia for a day trip, depending on the Immigration officer they may give you 90 or 30 days, or if you argue with him you could get 3 or 7 days only. So plan on leaving before the 30 days are over as otherwise you could or will be an overstayer when you "try" to leave.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

megadave

Post by megadave » Wed, 16 Jan 2019 5:41 pm

You were absolutely right about this. I confirmed it with MOM

Even though my passport says 90 days, it is cancelled by the EP pass. I decided to go to penang for a while until I get a new job. It's so much cheaper and would satisfy the visa problem.

Thanks