Singapore Expats

PR - How low are my chances?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
fre3ze

PR - How low are my chances?

Post by fre3ze » Tue, 08 Jan 2019 1:07 pm

Hi there,

I've read a couple of threads in this forum & overall it seems like my chances are pretty bleak given my background. Nevertheless, still giving it a go to get feedback from people who've walked down this path.

Here is my profile.

Nationality: Indian
Marital Status: Single
Duration in Singapore: Move to Singapore in Nov 2012 and been here since. So that's a total of 6+ years now.
Salary: $8.5k per month
Profession: Marketing/Advertising
Education: Master's from the UK

Added context:
My first full-time job after my masters was in Singapore. I started off with an S-Pass drawing a salary of $2.5k per month. In the last 6 years, I've worked my way up & now holding an Employment Pass drawing the aforementioned salary. I've got some extended family (Dad's cousin & her immediate family) who are Singaporean Citizens, if that matters at all. Throughout my career, I've worked for Fortune 500 companies. I speak fluent Tamil & a few other Indian languages.

My ambition is to turn into a Singaporean Citizen & there aren't any prospects of getting married for the next 2 years to say the least.

Feel free to be brutal :)

Bakulii
Regular
Regular

Re: PR - How low are my chances?

Post by Bakulii » Tue, 08 Jan 2019 2:04 pm

Everyone has a chance...some higher and some lower, of course. Just take the application fee as an investment and go ahead to apply, and then forget about it until you receive the outcome letter from ICA.

fre3ze

Post by fre3ze » Tue, 08 Jan 2019 2:39 pm

Bakulii wrote:Everyone has a chance...some higher and some lower, of course. Just take the application fee as an investment and go ahead to apply, and then forget about it until you receive the outcome letter from ICA.
Thanks! That's some sound advice. What worries me a bit is, I've read in a few forums that if you get rejected the first time, the odds of you getting approved after are slim to none. Conscious that they are claims that are hard to substantiate giving the lack of transparency with the whole PR selection process.

So I'm just being overcautious if I'm putting my best foot forward giving my current circumstances as its my first time applying.

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BBCDoc » Tue, 08 Jan 2019 7:34 pm

Chances are probably as good or better than winning the lottery.

I was rejected 6 years ago, then gotten approval. So things may have changed now, but may also change in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's always room for one more

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 08 Jan 2019 8:41 pm

fre3ze wrote:Hi there,

I've read a couple of threads in this forum & overall it seems like my chances are pretty bleak given my background. Nevertheless, still giving it a go to get feedback from people who've walked down this path.

Here is my profile.

Duration in Singapore: Move to Singapore in Nov 2012 and been here since. So that's a total of 6+ years now.

Added context:
My first full-time job after my masters was in Singapore. I started off with an S-Pass drawing a salary of $2.5k per month. In the last 6 years, I've worked my way up & now holding an Employment Pass drawing the aforementioned salary. I've got some extended family (Dad's cousin & her immediate family) who are Singaporean Citizens, if that matters at all. Throughout my career, I've worked for Fortune 500 companies. I speak fluent Tamil & a few other Indian languages.

My ambition is to turn into a Singaporean Citizen & there aren't any prospects of getting married for the next 2 years to say the least.

I think your chances are low but it should not stop you from trying.
"I've read in a few forums that if you get rejected the first time, the odds of you getting approved after are slim to none."
...this probably refers to what we called a kiss of death. It was about specific forms of rejection letters (wording) and not to the fact of rejection itself. I believe this is not valid any longer.

If you are very determined to live in SG, continue working here, get married and produce male offspring. This will increase your chance.

singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 09 Jan 2019 6:20 pm

fre3ze wrote:Hi there,

Here is my profile.

Added context:

Not going to be easy for you especially you are in Marketing. There are enough professionals in this category in SG along with local talents.

Forture 500 companies and they paid you just 2500 for a start?

fre3ze

Post by fre3ze » Thu, 10 Jan 2019 11:03 am

...this probably refers to what we called a kiss of death. It was about specific forms of rejection letters (wording) and not to the fact of rejection itself. I believe this is not valid any longer.

If you are very determined to live in SG, continue working here, get married and produce male offspring. This will increase your chance.
Thanks! Looks like I've got some serious thinking to do as I don't want to trivialise an important decision like marriage for the sake of residing in a country.

fre3ze

Post by fre3ze » Thu, 10 Jan 2019 11:11 am

Not going to be easy for you especially you are in Marketing. There are enough professionals in this category in SG along with local talents.

Fortune 500 companies and they paid you just 2500 for a start?
Thanks for your feedback. Is there any publically available data out there which showcases the professions that Singapore has a talent shortfall for?

Yes, the advertising industry is infamous for paying low wages for entry level positions. Furthermore, I was focused on getting some good companies under my belt so I didn't drive a hard bargain.

However if you pay your dues and move up the ladder, there are plenty of opportunities to rake in the big bucks. I've turned down offers that would have currently made me $12-15k a month as I'd hit the glass ceiling right after.