Singapore Expats

Obtaining LTVP as husband of LTVP holder

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
gianniz

Obtaining LTVP as husband of LTVP holder

Post by gianniz » Mon, 07 Jan 2019 3:36 pm

EU couple, early retired and with financial means, wishing to move to Singapore from March 2019 to June 2020 when son with Student Pass will complete his high school. Wife with Long Term Visit Pass as mother of Student Pass holder.

1) Chances for the husband to get a Long Term Visit Pass as well?
2) Chances of being refused entry if going out for a few weeks every 90 days (validity of Visit Pass for EU citizens)?

Thanks

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Obtaining LTVP as husband of LTVP holder

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 07 Jan 2019 10:46 pm

Not going to happen. In fact, her visa will be cancelled the day he finishes school in all probability as is normally the case. Her visa is only available to either the mother or grandmother of the child. The father is not allowed to reside in Singapore (one of the codicils of the LTVP for student Pass parent). Chances of being refused entry? Very good once you hit 183 days in Singapore and then you will incur the wrath of being probably banned from Singapore for a period of 'at least' 6 months to a year (if you are allowed more than 30 days the 2nd time in). His mother is also known as a Pei du momma or study mama. Normally used by mainland Chinese mothers to care for their offspring who managed to obtain a slot for schooling for their kid.

Curious though, How long has he been schooling in Singapore?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

gianniz

Post by gianniz » Mon, 07 Jan 2019 11:11 pm

Thank you for your reply.

Son joined UWCSEA boarding school last summer for his last two years of high school (G11-12). Not intending to stay past graduation in June 2020. From 2005 to 2009 we have been residents with EP (myself) and Dependent Passes, my other kids studied at UWCSEA as well. I have been entering Singapore for business multiple times a year in the last several years (short stays), and always given a 90-day pass.

I asked because the immigration officer at Changi, once explained the situation, suggested to apply for a long term visit pass for myself as well. I agree there seems to be no provisions in the current LTVP requirements.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 10 Jan 2019 9:03 am

I don't think this is something that will happen with an online application. However, under the circumstances, a visit to ICA to be able to sit down to explain (you may need to request to see an officer and not just a frontline clerk/civil servant). ICA and all ministries always leave themselves a side door for special circumstances. All I can say is try and good luck. Oh, and let us know how it goes for the future visitors to this forum. It may help someone else with a similar problem. This is how we work here. ;-)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

gianniz

Post by gianniz » Thu, 10 Jan 2019 1:21 pm

Thanks, will do.

This morning before leaving Singapore I stopped at the ICA booth at Terminal 3 and spoke to an officer explaining the situation. Beside LTVP, when it comes to multiple entries under the 90-day pass valid for most EU countries, as long as the purpose of multiple entries is not suspected to be fraudulent (like in our case of parents taking care of a son with a Student Pass) it was confirmed that we should not expect issues.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 10 Jan 2019 11:17 pm

I hope that filters through all the front line staff at the immigration point. But it does sound like good news. :cool:

arvinluan

Post by arvinluan » Thu, 14 Feb 2019 12:06 am

Hi everyone, my son's depedency pass will expire as he will be turning 21 years old this coming March. He will be graduating at Nanyang Poly and plans to take University here. What can we do in order to extend his stay to attend his graduation and/or process his application for university and eventually apply for a Student Visa?

gianniz

Post by gianniz » Tue, 18 Jun 2019 12:01 am

Update: my wife's application for a LTVP (submitted late April and expected to receive an answer within 45 days) was approved in-principle after just 3 days. She collected her pass shortly after.

Again, some years ago we were Singapore residents with EP and dependent passes, and that may make things easier. So far there has been no issues in re-entering with an EU passport.