Singapore Expats

Teenage son - uni?

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
rl3384

Teenage son - uni?

Post by rl3384 » Sat, 05 Jan 2019 4:30 am

Hi everyone

I am (hopefully) moving to Singapore in the summer for a 2 year initial contract. I have no idea how I will feel at the end of 2 of years and whether I will want to extend for another 2 years or not, but I have been doing extensive research (to the point of driving myself crazy) about life in Singapore but I am really stuck with this question.

I am a single mum and will be bringing my teenage son who will be starting Year 10 and in my first contract he will be able to complete his GCSEs.

Option 1 - If we then went home after just 2 years, he'd be able to go to college/6th form in the UK. However, student finance states that in order to be eligible for student finance, he must have been living in the UK for 3 years prior to starting uni. So, I guess he'd need to take a year gap year in order to be eligible?

Option 2 - if I took another 2 year contract, he'd be able to complete his IB diploma. But then what happens?! I might want to come home after 4 years, but then he can't go to uni in the UK unless I can somehow pay the insane tuition fees myself?

Or - what if he wanted to go to uni in Singapore - from what I've read on NUS website, he'd be entitled to student finance but I'm not entirely sure how it works, such as when does he have to start paying it back? Would he still be entitled to it if I returned to the UK without him?

I know it's insane to be thinking about things so far ahead, but if I am going to do this, I need to know, so there are no surprises. In hindsight, I should have maybe done this a few years ago, but I wasn't at a point in my career that would have made it possible.

I'd just like advice from anyone who's done this with teenagers. Am I mad to even consider coming? I just feel now is a time we could both have an adventure and enjoy a couple/few years together gaining new memories and experiences we can remember.

Thanks,
Rachel :???:

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Teenage son - uni?

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 05 Jan 2019 2:20 pm

You're going to need someone with real experience in UK Uni and loans etc to help. From a Singapore POV I can tell you there are expat kids who go to private U's here such as JCU (James Cook), Curtin, SMU (Singapore Management Uni) and in addition a lot of other 'external' degree courses are available from various providers. Of course the fees are an issue and finance is also an issue. You have two years to think it through and anyways nothing will be left of the UK after Brexit hey?
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

The Ref
Chatter
Chatter

Post by The Ref » Sun, 06 Jan 2019 4:01 pm

Many British kids who grew up here go and board in the UK for senior as that seems to be the best option. It seems boarding school fees in UK are less than the School fes here plus extra costs in the UK.

rl3384

Post by rl3384 » Sun, 06 Jan 2019 7:09 pm

My son is already at boarding school in the UK and he’s really unhappy which is one big reason I want to bring him with me, so that we can spend time together and have fun. I miss him horribly. From the research I’ve done, I think as long as I can prove my work is a temp contract, it shouldn’t be a problem to return to the uk for uni.