Singapore Expats Forum

PR Application

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
NoTeva
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat, 15 Dec 2018

PR Application

Postby NoTeva » Tue, 01 Jan 2019 1:20 pm

Have applied Singapore PR since 11 March 2018 with status "Pending" until today. Recently got my work pass renewed but downgrade to WP from S Pass. Will this affect my application?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35584
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: PR Application

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 01 Jan 2019 4:33 pm

Possibly to probably.

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1709
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009

Re: PR Application

Postby singaporeflyer » Tue, 01 Jan 2019 8:29 pm

NoTeva wrote:Have applied Singapore PR since 11 March 2018 with status "Pending" until today. Recently got my work pass renewed but downgrade to WP from S Pass. Will this affect my application?


Where are you from?

NoTeva
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat, 15 Dec 2018

Re: PR Application

Postby NoTeva » Wed, 02 Jan 2019 8:19 am

Chinese from Malaysia. Apply together with my wife (Malaysian); have been working in Singapore for almost 4 years.

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1709
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009

Re: PR Application

Postby singaporeflyer » Wed, 02 Jan 2019 10:20 am

NoTeva wrote:Chinese from Malaysia. Apply together with my wife (Malaysian); have been working in Singapore for almost 4 years.


You still have a chance

NoTeva
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat, 15 Dec 2018

Re: PR Application

Postby NoTeva » Sat, 05 Jan 2019 7:31 am

singaporeflyer wrote:
NoTeva wrote:Chinese from Malaysia. Apply together with my wife (Malaysian); have been working in Singapore for almost 4 years.


You still have a chance


Hopefully there is. I know WP is not eligible to apply.

Farook2019
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue, 08 Jan 2019

Re: PR Application

Postby Farook2019 » Tue, 08 Jan 2019 10:36 am

Hi guys,

I'm an Indian Muslim married to a local in Singapore. its been 1 year since we got married.
I got my Long-term approved after 4months of waiting time. Once i received the long-term, my wife sponsored and applied a PR for me through ePR in May 2018. Its been 8 months already and still the status is pending.

Wife is working as an Admin with 2k per month.

Male, Indian, Civil Engineer, Age-26, Graduated with B.E, M.BA in India and doing my M.Sc in NTU. Salary is 70k per anum.
Working in Singapore since 2014.

This PR thing is holding us from buying an HDB. since I'm a foreigner, we are not able to get even 50% of the housing loan.

Even we met MP yesterday to expedite the PR process with ICA.

please advice my chance of approval.

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1709
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009

Re: PR Application

Postby singaporeflyer » Tue, 08 Jan 2019 8:51 pm

Farook2019 wrote:Hi guys,

I'm an Indian Muslim married to a local in Singapore. its been 1 year since we got married.
I got my Long-term approved after 4months of waiting time. Once i received the long-term, my wife sponsored and applied a PR for me through ePR in May 2018. Its been 8 months already and still the status is pending.

Wife is working as an Admin with 2k per month.

Male, Indian, Civil Engineer, Age-26, Graduated with B.E, M.BA in India and doing my M.Sc in NTU. Salary is 70k per anum.
Working in Singapore since 2014.

This PR thing is holding us from buying an HDB. since I'm a foreigner, we are not able to get even 50% of the housing loan.

Even we met MP yesterday to expedite the PR process with ICA.

please advice my chance of approval.


Chance is very low
1. Not married for long or do not have a child yet
2. Since spouse is sponsoring your application, she has to have a higher salary. 2K might not be enough.

Mintygreen
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed, 12 Apr 2017

Re: PR Application

Postby Mintygreen » Thu, 10 Jan 2019 8:58 am

Hi, I am facing the same issue. Does meeting the MP helps? What can they do?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35584
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: PR Application

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 10 Jan 2019 11:10 pm

They can write a letter (maybe - it's usually for PR's trying for SGC) to ICA. ICA will accept the letter, read it and then file it in your file. They may write a quick note acknowledging receipt of same to the MP and that will be about the size and extent of it. I don't know of ONE that has ever accomplished anything by writing to their MP.

mystic_river
Regular
Regular
Posts: 97
Joined: Thu, 28 Mar 2013

Re: PR Application

Postby mystic_river » Fri, 11 Jan 2019 8:10 am

Mintygreen wrote:Hi, I am facing the same issue. Does meeting the MP helps? What can they do?


Singapore is pretty much a meritocratic society. ICA isn’t gonna give a rat’s ass even if they see your application accompanied with a letter from your MP.

I know this gets asked around here a lot because this works elsewhere (particularly South Asia. They even have a word for it and it’s called sifarish). But this isn’t gonna fly here.

You can still try though. There isn’t anything stopping you.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35584
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: PR Application

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 11 Jan 2019 9:22 am

This! ^^^^ ;)

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3968
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Re: PR Application

Postby Wd40 » Thu, 24 Jan 2019 12:47 pm

mystic_river wrote:
Mintygreen wrote:Hi, I am facing the same issue. Does meeting the MP helps? What can they do?


Singapore is pretty much a meritocratic society. ICA isn’t gonna give a rat’s ass even if they see your application accompanied with a letter from your MP.

I know this gets asked around here a lot because this works elsewhere (particularly South Asia. They even have a word for it and it’s called sifarish). But this isn’t gonna fly here.

You can still try though. There isn’t anything stopping you.


Sifarish literally means recommendation. You are putting it across as if South Asians invented it. I am pretty sure South Asians don't go an complain to their MP for every small problems. It is a local tradition here, to meet MP.

So your comment is absolutely bullshit.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

mystic_river
Regular
Regular
Posts: 97
Joined: Thu, 28 Mar 2013

Re: PR Application

Postby mystic_river » Thu, 24 Jan 2019 4:07 pm

Wd40 wrote:
mystic_river wrote:
Mintygreen wrote:Hi, I am facing the same issue. Does meeting the MP helps? What can they do?


Singapore is pretty much a meritocratic society. ICA isn’t gonna give a rat’s ass even if they see your application accompanied with a letter from your MP.

I know this gets asked around here a lot because this works elsewhere (particularly South Asia. They even have a word for it and it’s called sifarish). But this isn’t gonna fly here.

You can still try though. There isn’t anything stopping you.


Sifarish literally means recommendation. You are putting it across as if South Asians invented it. I am pretty sure South Asians don't go an complain to their MP for every small problems. It is a local tradition here, to meet MP.

So your comment is absolutely bullshit.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk


And you would be correct that it literally does mean reccomendation. However, if you had any semblance of the actual language, you’d know that when used in context, it has a negative connotation of “asking for a favor”

Locals like to complain to their MPs because that’s what we are known to do (heck, after living here for 20 years and even I do complain about the smallest things)

But asking your MP to help you get your PR/citizenship when you’ve clearly been rejected (because they think MPs are well connected within the government and would be able to pull some strings) doesn’t work in Singapore.

Hope your brain is able to comprehend this bullshit :roll:


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests