Singapore Expats

Rejected the transfer of REP?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Bakulii
Regular
Regular

Re: Rejected the transfer of REP?

Post by Bakulii » Thu, 03 Jan 2019 9:58 am

Lim Yuan Hai wrote:I am employed by Spore registered/based company, hence, I have contributed to my company and and then my company have contributed to Singapore economy. The question is 1) why didn't the ICA renew my REP for full 5 years? 2) I am looking for a way to get 5 years instead of 1 year.
@singaporeflyer, I am from Myanmar.
Suggest you write in to ICA and ask. Show them the proof that your Singapore registered company had sent you to work abroad and that the company has been contributing to your CPF all this while.

Lim Yuan Hai

Post by Lim Yuan Hai » Sun, 06 Jan 2019 11:05 am

I thank you, all for your advice. I am new here. However, I am a SPR a quarter of a century.

Have a nice day.
Last edited by Lim Yuan Hai on Thu, 17 Jan 2019 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lim Yuan Hai

Post by Lim Yuan Hai » Sun, 06 Jan 2019 11:07 am

@sundaymorningstaple
Thank you for your advice.

1) You must have a good reason to believe that I will not be getting another renewal.
Can you share your reasons?

2) I really do not think that I posting from Thailand is a good reason. Anyway, kindly comment.

3) My company prefer me to work in Thailand for around next 2 years.

a) How to possibly get a single year (REP) every time that one year… (quote you) without living in Spore but employed by Spore’s company?

b) How long minimum time to reside in Spore for next 1 year so as to get 5 years REP when I renew it next January 2019 without living in Spore for full year because my company need time to arrange for my relocation back to Spore, I hope?

Have a nice weekend.
sundaymorningstaple wrote:If you only got a 1 year renewal it means you were somehow a bad boy. You may have spent 2 years or more outside of the country (or not been back in the country for at least 2 years before renewal (this will get you a single year every time and that one year will, most of the time be for the express purpose of allowing you a year to get your Plan B in order and be ready to say goodbye Singers. Otherwise, you might get lucky and get a second one year REP to see how bad you want to stay here or if you were planning on pulling another slippery deal. Or you may have gotten into trouble here in Singapore and they figure that they don't really need any more trouble than necessary. Somewhere you have rubbed their fur the wrong way and now you have yourself in a fix. The fact that you are posting from Thailand leads me to believe you will not be getting another renewal.

Whatever you do, make sure you have a Plan B as you may well need it. Of course you can still go back to an EP or S pass but that is provided the employer is willing to go there again. The Normal REP is 5 years with one year usually being the death knell of your PR.
Last edited by Lim Yuan Hai on Thu, 17 Jan 2019 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 06 Jan 2019 1:54 pm

Let's see now. You have been in Thailand for the last 2.75 years and you company wants you to stay in Thailand for an additional 2 years (or around 5 years give or take a couple of months) Am I correct?

I don't have an direct answer that I can link to, but if you are from Myanmar and your company has you working in Thailand, my first thought is are you doing work from Thailand into Myanmar (e.g., the employer taking advantage of your possible language skills or maybe you volunteered to be posted there for close connections to your homeland?

Another possibility is that PR is a stepping stone to SG citizenship. You have been a PR as long as I have (quarter of a century). For me it's a no-brainer as I'm not going to give up a 1st world Citizenship (theoretical only) for a developing country (actual - not theoretical). From a 3rd world to Developing is a different story. As you're nearing retirement age and you still haven't applied for SGC maybe they are using this as a test to see if you are just using Singapore and intent to retire to Myanmar. If so, they may let you retire early with a little push.

I'm just hazarding a guess here. Is your whole family PR's or is your spouse a Singaporean and you are PR based on family ties? If based on family ties it usually is not an issue.

Again, I reiterate, I am giving just gut feelings here as we don't have any anecdotal evidence to work from.
bro75 wrote:They give a 1 year REP for those PRs who are not resident in Singapore for a certain amount of time in the last 5 years. If you still are not resident in Singapore at the end of that year then it is probable that your REP renewal will be rejected .
This advice from bro75 is sage advice. You need to get your employer to get you back to Singapore ASAP and you need to remain in Singapore for at least the duration of the 1 year LTVP and then hope they will give you a renewal (of at least 1 year or if lucky 5 years). I don't see why it would take your company one year to be able to bring you back to Singapore? (What happens if something untoward should befall you? The company how? The company needs a year to bring you back doesn't hold water as you are only an employee (I assume - or are you a director of the company?)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 06 Jan 2019 8:34 pm

Lim Yuan Hai wrote: 1) You must have a good reason to believe that I will not be getting another renewal.
Can you share your reasons?
We've seen on this forum dozens cases of having the REP striped to 1 year only and practically all of them were for people who stayed outside Singapore for too long. I am ready to bet a bottle of good wine that if you fail to come back (within a few weeks max) to Singapore and stay here till your next REP renewal you won't have it extended.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 06 Jan 2019 11:43 pm

I'll help you drink it. :P :mrgreen:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 07 Jan 2019 12:14 pm

Lim Yuan Hai wrote:I am employed by Spore registered/based company, hence, I have contributed to my company and and then my company have contributed to Singapore economy. The question is 1) why didn't the ICA renew my REP for full 5 years? 2) I am looking for a way to get 5 years instead of 1 year.
Are you filing your taxes In Singapore still? Are you paying CPF a voluntarily? Both help prove you intend to return.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 07 Jan 2019 12:45 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Are you filing your taxes In Singapore still? Are you paying CPF a voluntarily? Both help prove you intend to return.
THIS!!! ^^^^^ If you're not paying personal income taxes and CPF in Singapore, then you're not a resident for tax purposes. This means that Singapore assumes you are tax resident elsewhere and that is where your domicile is. Therefore, you are no longer a Singapore resident.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 07 Jan 2019 3:26 pm

We know he's paying CPF but don't know if it's voluntary or normal paid by the employer. If it's voluntary, I'd almost be willing to bet that it's his company by his oblique references that 'his' Spore registered/based company and his company has contributed to the Singapore economy. Something strange there and just doesn't sit well.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 07 Jan 2019 6:38 pm

I have some doubts if CPF and taxes carries that much of the punch to save one from the REP rejection over longer time. CPF is a pretty good saving instrument for people who don't like to take risk. Taxes are lower than in other countries. This can be seen as the benefits and what would be offered here in exchange? Abusing less of the infrastructure? Anything else? By residing abroad he spends less money in SG what also is a factor contributing to the economy. Paid by SG company but probably investing his time in the development of the other country, not SG. Of course not paying local taxes and cpf would be much worse but paying and living abroad is also not what PRs are made for.

My 2 cents worth.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 07 Jan 2019 8:00 pm

I'm 99% certain that 99% of REP approvals are pre-approved based on the quick turn around time. The information used in the pre-approval almost certainly is pulled from ICA's internal database (to calculate days in Singapore for example) and IRAS (to determine if applicant is earning and paying Singapore taxes) and CPF (to determine residency check via CPF payments). Where people run into problems is when these three ticks don't like up (i.e. IF CPF paid AND IF Income Tax paid AND IF ICA shows in country 180 days THEN auto approve) because you then go into a manual approval mode where the gods of ICA may frown upon you. Another reason I think this is true is we have seen REP approval issues around the time when IRAS returns are due....
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 07 Jan 2019 9:19 pm

It seems for the OP case it was also automatic - ca 5h between his posts mostly outside the ICA working hours.