Singapore Expats Forum

PR Chances - UK/US Couple

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
username86

PR Chances - UK/US Couple

Postby username86 » Thu, 27 Dec 2018 4:55 pm

Hi,

We have applied for PR once before and been rejected, so looking to figure how to maximize chances this next time round. Greatly appreciate any thoughts!

Noting the below profile my questions are whether i would be best to go any of the below 3 routes;

1) Wait for a 4th NOA in April (this next should be my largest)
2) Apply under my UK or US citizenship (thinking is fewer US around here, but all EPs have been under UK)
3) Apply for a PEP instead of EP for my upcoming renewal

0. Nationality: UK/USA - Caucasian
1. Profession: Commodities Trader/Manager
2. Industry: Commodities
3. Company: Singapore entity of an International company - v small office in Singapore. 1.5 years thus far at this company, 2.5 years at previous within SG
4. Time in Singapore: Jan 2015 - 3 * EP renewals, next one in April
5. Monthly Income: $23k basic + bonus and allowances
6. Age: 32
7. Marital Status: Married (wife working full time in medical sales, 7k pcm, degree, EP, UK national)
8. Bachelors & PGDip,
9.Occasional charity donations, but can look to start more work

x9200

Re: PR Chances - UK/US Couple

Postby x9200 » Thu, 27 Dec 2018 6:18 pm

username86 wrote:Hi,

We have applied for PR once before and been rejected, so looking to figure how to maximize chances this next time round. Greatly appreciate any thoughts!

Noting the below profile my questions are whether i would be best to go any of the below 3 routes;

1) Wait for a 4th NOA in April (this next should be my largest)
2) Apply under my UK or US citizenship (thinking is fewer US around here, but all EPs have been under UK)
3) Apply for a PEP instead of EP for my upcoming renewal

0. Nationality: UK/USA - Caucasian
1. Profession: Commodities Trader/Manager
2. Industry: Commodities
3. Company: Singapore entity of an International company - v small office in Singapore. 1.5 years thus far at this company, 2.5 years at previous within SG
4. Time in Singapore: Jan 2015 - 3 * EP renewals, next one in April
5. Monthly Income: $23k basic + bonus and allowances
6. Age: 32
7. Marital Status: Married (wife working full time in medical sales, 7k pcm, degree, EP, UK national)
8. Bachelors & PGDip,
9.Occasional charity donations, but can look to start more work

In recent years PR tends to be seen as a step towards obtaining citizenship. What are the chances you apply for it later eventually renouncing your US/UK citizenships? Probably zero. With no (male) offspring, short time in Singapore, unfavorable race, managerial, high income position (job mobility), you score probably many more negative points than positive ones. I don't think the routes you mentioned make any difference.

username86

Postby username86 » Thu, 27 Dec 2018 6:40 pm

x9200 - thanks for your thoughts, and you are right in saying we would be loath to renounce any citizenships

interesting to see your comments here (and in other threads) re high income; most seem to say the more tax you contribute the better.

job mobility is actually fairly low given the niche within which i work.

may i ask why managerial is viewed as a negative (lessening chances of a long stay?)

PNGMK
Governor
Governor

Postby PNGMK » Thu, 27 Dec 2018 9:18 pm

You're classified as "others" if which the population is around 2%. As the gahmen is trying to rebalance the Chinese ratio back up because they won't breed "others" approval rates are very low right now for PR. In my estimate maybe less than 500 per year (2% of 25,000 approvals).
IANAL. IANACPA. IANA Teacher.
Arrested? Lawyer Up
International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
School advice? Avoid for profit schools
Tax advice? CPA
Pay me $5k for 100% success filling in PR form!

x9200

Postby x9200 » Thu, 27 Dec 2018 9:50 pm

username86 wrote:x9200 - thanks for your thoughts, and you are right in saying we would be loath to renounce any citizenships

interesting to see your comments here (and in other threads) re high income; most seem to say the more tax you contribute the better.

job mobility is actually fairly low given the niche within which i work.

may i ask why managerial is viewed as a negative (lessening chances of a long stay?)

It's just a guess - obviously no one but ICA knows, but there were number of cases, profiles, posted in this forum, where all looked reasonably promising and the applications were still rejected. The common denominator seemed to be high salary associated with managerial position. This sort of position often follows the job (you could get transferred). Also as you are a well paid individual you are likely valuable and sought by employers, you may receive an offer and you will move out. It seems reasonable to assume the gov would prefer people that are more determined (here by nature of their job) to stay in Singapore.
This may be more important than the tax money especially that the taxes are low and Singapore is a wealthy country.

username86

Postby username86 » Fri, 28 Dec 2018 9:09 pm

thanks, appreciate the thoughts.

i guess its a case of giving it a go but not holding my breath then.

any further thoughts would be great, will let you know if we succeed