Singapore Expats

Advice needed : Renunciation in SG or remotely ?

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
Cohen123

Advice needed : Renunciation in SG or remotely ?

Post by Cohen123 » Tue, 25 Dec 2018 3:18 pm

Am thinking of coming back to do the renunciation of citizenship, instead of going to High Commission here as people say it will be much much quicker if you do in person at ICA.

I have some questions, hoping someone might be able to help with.

Can I use my other passport to enter for this occasion?

How long will the process at ICA take ? Any appointment required ? Or just turn up ? Do I need to get my documents notarised or will it be all done at ICA?

I have completed my NS including my reservist obligations. Need some information and advice Especially in regards to planning how many days I need. Appreciate any info. Thank you.
Last edited by Cohen123 on Thu, 27 Dec 2018 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Advice needed : Renunciation and Passport

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 25 Dec 2018 8:28 pm

Why do you need to do it quickly?
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Cohen123

Post by Cohen123 » Tue, 25 Dec 2018 9:56 pm

No urgent reason. But didn’t want to wait for 2-3 months (reading from the forums) while waiting for the documents to get to the right people via the mail system. I guess it’s one less thing to worry about if it can be done on the spot. At the ICA, I am assuming the documents will get to the right department without the possibility of losing them in the mail.

Anyone who has done it recently at ICA recently ? Or any advice from anyone who might be able to help appreciated. Thank you.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 26 Dec 2018 7:29 am

Personally I would do it remotely where you have more control over what is asked for. I note in the other post your concerns about the amount of documentation and questions if done in person. Technically you're also in a legal state of limbo as well being in Singapore as a dual citizen.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Cohen123

Post by Cohen123 » Wed, 26 Dec 2018 12:37 pm

Appreciate your reply and insight.

Does it mean risking arrest ? I completed my NS resevist obligation years ago.

I guess at some point those renouncing will have dual nationality, since they will not be allowed to renounce unless they produce evdience of having acquired another nationality. Have you heard of anyone rebounding at ICA in Singapore and getting into trouble, getting detained ?

Going back to do this , being frank, means an opportunity to tie up a few loose ends , saying goodbye to old friends, a last look at places I grew up and knew, a bowl of kway chap.... but if I can’t and risk getting detained , then it’s not really an option then .....

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 26 Dec 2018 1:15 pm

I would reckon it would depend on the length of time between renouncing and when you first obtained the 2nd citizenship. A couple of months would probably not be an issue but I reckon a couple of years would be and could put you in jeopardy of a fine at the very least, regardless of whether you have done NS or not. You cannot renounce until you have completed your NS, however, it is against the law after the age of majority to hold dual citizenship. In fact it is against the law even as a minor IF both parents are Singaporean citizens at the time of your birth. Dual citizenship is only allowed for minor children if the parent are of different nationalities. So, do you feel like gambling?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Cohen123

Post by Cohen123 » Wed, 26 Dec 2018 6:20 pm

Thanks.

Want to avoid any fines or any detention coming into the country with the intention of giving up the red passport. Hence this posting to ask for information.

Has someone SG here been fined for having dual nationality ?

Or someone who has done the renunciation recently (either at ICA SG or remotely) who can shed some light on the process. Thank you.

nekros

Post by nekros » Thu, 08 Dec 2022 2:02 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Wed, 26 Dec 2018 1:15 pm
I would reckon it would depend on the length of time between renouncing and when you first obtained the 2nd citizenship. A couple of months would probably not be an issue but I reckon a couple of years would be and could put you in jeopardy of a fine at the very least, regardless of whether you have done NS or not. You cannot renounce until you have completed your NS, however, it is against the law after the age of majority to hold dual citizenship. In fact it is against the law even as a minor IF both parents are Singaporean citizens at the time of your birth. Dual citizenship is only allowed for minor children if the parent are of different nationalities. So, do you feel like gambling?
Has there ever been an example of someone that has completed NS and released from exit permit (past age of 40) gotten into trouble for waiting several years to renounce citizenship? If it's against the law, then what is the penalty? It's not stated in the SG Constitution.

taxico
Director
Director

Re: Advice needed : Renunciation in SG or remotely ?

Post by taxico » Sat, 31 Dec 2022 8:25 pm

let’s not get into criminal penalty right now.

you’ll be detained... you’ll be questioned.

they’ll force you to make a choice.

what would you do?

if you’re young, you can ask for an extension. they’ll give a short one to you.

if you’re not, they’ll tell you to decide right there and supply you the paperwork to get the job done.

they (immigration of any country you’re not a citizen of) can deny you entry as a foreigner. then what.

do not get caught. you need to have planned what you’ll do when you’re caught at the border - before you reach the border!

if the sg government knows then you shouldn’t take the risk (eg u.s. citizenship applied for you by your parents at u.s. embassy in singapore).

the sg gov has weird ways of knowing.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam