Singapore Expats

wife on employement pass and other questions

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Post Reply

wife on employement pass and other questions

Post by marcie » Sat, 08 May 2004 12:16 am


If anyone can clear this confusing situation, it will be really appreciated!

I work with a Q1 pass here in Singapore and my husband has applied for an employment pass under the entrepass scheme (a business pass). We submitted in last January 2004 and it's been 4 months, we still don't have any feedback.

My contract will be renewed next month and I am wondering if it is sensible to apply for a dependent's pass for my husband. I've checked the MOM website and there is no information if my husband is allowed to work freelance and not have an employer if he is on a dependent's pass.

Can he actually do freelance jobs on a dependent's pass while waiting for the result of the entrepass?

Also, I've heard a lot of rumors that husbands don't get approved when applying for a dependent's pass? Or it is very unlikely?

I would like to know what the best approach is to this situation. Any information or clarification will be truly appreciated.



User avatar
Posts: 3004
Joined: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 9:38 pm
Location: Terra Australis Incognita

Post by jpatokal » Sat, 08 May 2004 5:27 pm

A Q1 allows you to apply for a dependent's pass (barely: it's the lowest grade of pass allowed to do so), and a DP allows you to work even full-time (although there's an extra bit of paperwork known as the Letter of Consent; basically ICA has to authorize you to work for each employer separately). In your husband's case a DP would suffice to allow him to set up his own company.

Dunno about the chances of getting a pass as a husband vs. as a wife, but the relevant rules are carefully gender-neutral, so at least in theory it's not a problem.

Usual caveat: this is not legal advice and I'm not the guy who'll be scrunitizing your application :!:


Post by Guest » Mon, 25 Apr 2005 1:29 pm

You directly apply for Permanent Residency and include your husband.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Last post

Return to “Relocating, Moving to Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests