Singapore Expats

Costs of living for an intern

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
jessica.ntg

Costs of living for an intern

Post by jessica.ntg » Mon, 17 Dec 2018 6:43 am

Hi everybody,
I am looking for a 6 months intership in Singapore but I would first like to know if I will be able to afford the costs of living.
I wish I could find an internship paid at least 800-100sgd and I can add 1200sgd, that is 2000-2200sgd in total.
I wish I could live in a shared condo to easily make friends and have access to the gym and swimming pool. Regarding to food I expect to eat 30-40% outside to discover the local food and cook the rest of the time at home. Regarding the transportation I can use the public transports.
I also wish I could visit the country and its islands, and even eventually visit a neighbor country. The goal is to enjoy my stay in Asia without being frustrated by a too tight budget.
Can somebody tell me if my budget could allow me to afford my standards of living expectations ?
Thank you :)

x9200

Re: Costs of living for an intern

Post by x9200 » Mon, 17 Dec 2018 10:39 pm

jessica.ntg wrote:Hi everybody,
I am looking for a 6 months intership in Singapore but I would first like to know if I will be able to afford the costs of living.
I wish I could find an internship paid at least 800-100sgd and I can add 1200sgd, that is 2000-2200sgd in total.
I wish I could live in a shared condo to easily make friends and have access to the gym and swimming pool. Regarding to food I expect to eat 30-40% outside to discover the local food and cook the rest of the time at home. Regarding the transportation I can use the public transports.
I also wish I could visit the country and its islands, and even eventually visit a neighbor country. The goal is to enjoy my stay in Asia without being frustrated by a too tight budget.
Can somebody tell me if my budget could allow me to afford my standards of living expectations ?
Thank you :)
You may factor in anything between 700 and 1500 SGD for the condo room. The price depends on location and unlikely include anything near downtown area.

Local food is cheap. Not sure about the numbers as it depends on your lifestyle and appetite but I believe something between 20 and 40 SGD a day may be doable with a decent comfort level. If you drink alcohol though, this is going to drain your pocket pretty quickly.

Traveling around Singapore is cheap. Traveling to Malaysia could be either cheap or expensive, but to get the flavor you don't need heaps of money.
Same for some short trips (low end style accommodation) to Batam or Bintan.

Singapore is a travelers hub with plenty of inexpensive connections to places like Thailand, Cambodia etc., so you might consider them too.