Singapore Expats Forum

Singaporean baby travelling on foreign passport

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
Joings

Singaporean baby travelling on foreign passport

Postby Joings » Thu, 13 Dec 2018 2:53 pm

Dear all

I have read these forums extensively and I would like to clarify one thing as I read conflicting advice.

Background: Baby has dual citizenship - SG and UK - and born in Singapore. He has a UK passport and no SG passport. We are travelling to the UK from Singapore next week.

1. Will there be any problems for us to exit Singapore on a UK passport and subsequently re-enter when we are back from our holiday? I read somewhere in the forum that he "has to" use his SG passport if he is a Singapore citizen to enter SG.

2. I also read in the forums that it is not an issue and all we have to do is to go to ICA to get some form of "right of stay" stamp on his UK passport as he is also a Singapore citizen. Should I do this before our trip or after?

Thank you for all your help!

DrScrumMaster
Regular
Regular

Re: Singaporean baby travelling on foreign passport

Postby DrScrumMaster » Thu, 13 Dec 2018 5:49 pm

Go to ICA with the Singapore birth certificate and UK passport.
Head up to the Citizen Services and then get a ticket for Right of Entry endorsement.
Depending on the time of day you'll only have to wait a few tens of minutes.

You'll have no problem exiting and entering Singapore with the UK passport provided it has the Right of Entry endorsement. I know because my children are in the same situation.

Joings

Postby Joings » Thu, 13 Dec 2018 6:18 pm

Thank you! I better get it done soon then because my flight is next week. Appreciate your quick reply!

Joings

Postby Joings » Mon, 17 Dec 2018 2:15 pm

Just to update that this service is located on Level 6. Take the lift. I only had to wait for 30 seconds before I was called into the interview room to hand in my documents for the "Right of Entry" endorsement.

I made the mistake of waiting on Level 2 at the Singapore passport section for half an hour before realising I was in the wrong place.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 17 Dec 2018 9:22 pm

Thanks for the clarification! It's appreciated.