Singapore Expats

Success stories of your partner employment DH > LOC/EP / Advice needed

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
MariaT

Success stories of your partner employment DH > LOC/EP / Advice needed

Post by MariaT » Tue, 11 Dec 2018 11:11 am

Hi all!

I wouldn't mind coming to Singapore, but your horror stories make me very worried since I don't want to knock every single door for months and months to come when I might have such a fantastic offer in where I'm now. Could you please share with me any success stories of your partner's employment, and give me your advice? :???:
I'm fully aware of MOM preferences for local citizens, LOC applications after the offer is out etc. I just wanted to know if anybody has partners who were highly skilled professionals back in their home countries and managed to fins a job in Singapore relatively fast.
P.S.
I have already tried to apply from here for the jobs in Singapore but I guess my location at this time doesn't happen at all.
Last edited by MariaT on Mon, 04 May 2020 10:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MariaT

Re: Success stories of your partner employment DH > LOC/EP / Advice needed

Post by MariaT » Tue, 11 Dec 2018 11:16 am

thank you
Last edited by MariaT on Mon, 04 May 2020 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 11 Dec 2018 11:51 am

I quickly ran through the previous thread but couldn't find any info on your job/education profile and without this I don't think one could estimate your chances to get a job and later for a work pass.

MariaT

Post by MariaT » Tue, 11 Dec 2018 12:13 pm

x9200 wrote:I quickly ran through the previous thread but couldn't find any info on your job/education profile and without this I don't think one could estimate your chances to get a job and later for a work pass.
Hey there! I'm rather asking for your individual stories and how it worked out for you and your partners.
Last edited by MariaT on Mon, 04 May 2020 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 11 Dec 2018 12:28 pm

Not sure how individual stories kept on general level may help you, but over past years my wife hired some people on DP and she (PR and a single person company) had no problem obtaining LoC for them (all women and trailing spouses). But again, this might have had a lot to do with the fact they were professionals with the skill sets not that common locally. Business/marketing unfortunately sounds to me just opposite even with all the languages. Unless you could leverage somehow on your ties with Japan.

MariaT

Post by MariaT » Tue, 11 Dec 2018 1:04 pm

x9200 wrote:Not sure how individual stories kept on general level may help you, but over past years my wife hired some people on DP and she (PR and a single person company) had no problem obtaining LoC for them (all women and trailing spouses). But again, this might have had a lot to do with the fact they were professionals with the skill sets not that common locally. Business/marketing unfortunately sounds to me just opposite even with all the languages. Unless you could leverage somehow on your ties with Japan.
May I ask in what field does your wife work? And in case of hiring that you mentioned, what skills did they have?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 11 Dec 2018 2:03 pm

All therapists, different kinds, some required to be registered with Allied Health Professions Council, some not.

MariaT

Post by MariaT » Tue, 11 Dec 2018 2:22 pm

x9200 wrote:All therapists, different kinds, some required to be registered with Allied Health Professions Council, some not.
Thanks for your feedback. I hope to hear a bit more positive stories from other people. I have some time to think so any wise advice will be appreciated.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 11 Dec 2018 9:53 pm

The big key is networking. For example, I was active in AmCham, American Association of Singapore, and others. Wife was active in FOM, Aidha, and others. You meet other professional people who are also part of the groups who may know of jobs, and you meet spouses who have spouses in positions that know about jobs.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 12 Dec 2018 9:21 am

I think you should consider splitting up and staying where the work is for each partner. I don't see a lot of light on the horizon for those sorts of jobs.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

MariaT

Post by MariaT » Wed, 12 Dec 2018 9:36 am

PNGMK wrote:I think you should consider splitting up and staying where the work is for each partner. I don't see a lot of light on the horizon for those sorts of jobs.
Could you please explain why? Is it because it will be tough to compete with the local labor force?
It's hard for me to believe that out of thousands and thousands foreign people coming to work in Singapore, all their partners abandon their careers or refuse to come due to this mindset.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 12 Dec 2018 10:21 am

MariaT wrote:It's hard for me to believe that out of thousands and thousands foreign people coming to work in Singapore, all their partners abandon their careers or refuse to come due to this mindset.
I've been moderating this board for about 14 years, and while I don't have any hard stats to give you, there have been many posts over the years from exasperated, disgusted, depressed, and demoralized trailing spouses who have been unable to continue their careers in Singapore.

The reasons are varied. Experience in a specialty that has little or no demand or that requires some sort of local certification. Unwillingness to pick up a spouse whose longevity is determined by the primary partner's career fortunes. Perception that you may be overqualified. Competition with the locals. And, as I have posted many, many times, the vast majority of people who come in on EP are transfers in, just like your spouse. It is very hard to find a job even if you are not a trailing spouse, as many who have wanted to come to Singapore to work have found out.

Again, volunteer work can lead into permanent paid work. You need to be ready to take a job that may not be as challenging and rewarding as what you used to do. My wife ran the information technology department at a large Houston hospital. After deciding she no longer wanted to be a project manager in my IT infra firm, she took a job at a small employment agency as a jill of all trades. Worked out well for her, as it gave her flexibility to do lots of other things.

I will emphasize again: It's not only trailing spouses who have a hard time finding a job, it's anybody who waltzes into Singapore cold and tries to hunt down a job. As noted, I've written about this. Search my threads to get an expanded version of why it is so hard.

Good luck. Others have done it. In fact, women probably have a better support network than men. Check out American Women's Association.

MariaT

Post by MariaT » Wed, 12 Dec 2018 10:39 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
MariaT wrote:It's hard for me to believe that out of thousands and thousands foreign people coming to work in Singapore, all their partners abandon their careers or refuse to come due to this mindset.
I've been moderating this board for about 14 years, and while I don't have any hard stats to give you, there have been many posts over the years from exasperated, disgusted, depressed, and demoralized trailing spouses who have been unable to continue their careers in Singapore.

The reasons are varied. Experience in a specialty that has little or no demand or that requires some sort of local certification. Unwillingness to pick up a spouse whose longevity is determined by the primary partner's career fortunes. Perception that you may be overqualified. Competition with the locals. And, as I have posted many, many times, the vast majority of people who come in on EP are transfers in, just like your spouse. It is very hard to find a job even if you are not a trailing spouse, as many who have wanted to come to Singapore to work have found out.

Again, volunteer work can lead into permanent paid work. You need to be ready to take a job that may not be as challenging and rewarding as what you used to do. My wife ran the information technology department at a large Houston hospital. After deciding she no longer wanted to be a project manager in my IT infra firm, she took a job at a small employment agency as a jill of all trades. Worked out well for her, as it gave her flexibility to do lots of other things.

I will emphasize again: It's not only trailing spouses who have a hard time finding a job, it's anybody who waltzes into Singapore cold and tries to hunt down a job. As noted, I've written about this. Search my threads to get an expanded version of why it is so hard.

Good luck. Others have done it. In fact, women probably have a better support network than men. Check out American Women's Association.
Thanks a lot for your message.
Last edited by MariaT on Mon, 04 May 2020 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 13 Dec 2018 8:46 am

The partner who earns less should also follow the partner who earns more.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

MariaT

Post by MariaT » Thu, 13 Dec 2018 3:57 pm

PNGMK wrote:The partner who earns less should also follow the partner who earns more.
True. Unless the partner is about to work for one of the best companies with a nice package as well. Money can't buy happiness. Fortunately or not.