Singapore Expats

Success stories of your partner employment DH > LOC/EP / Advice needed

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
x9200

Re: Success stories of your partner employment DH > LOC/EP / Advice needed

Post by x9200 » Fri, 14 Dec 2018 6:30 am

MariaT wrote:
PNGMK wrote:The partner who earns less should also follow the partner who earns more.
True. Unless the partner is about to work for one of the best companies with a nice package as well. Money can't buy happiness. Fortunately or not.
Yes, but looks like staying in Japan can't buy you happiness neither. Any chance to get transferred within a few years with this new company? Do they have an office in Singapore?

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by brian_singapore » Fri, 14 Dec 2018 10:41 am

As someone who has moved (with my wife) frequently over the last 20 years to new countries with one of us (sometimes me!) being the trailing spouse, we always moved together and trusted in our ability to find good work.

Our experience in Singapore: I moved here with a position. My wife came and waited 4 months to help settle in the family (we had 2 small children this time). She found a good job after 4 months of looking. The company converted her from a DP to an EP without incident and she's been happily employed every since.

We have briefly done the 'work apart' for 9 months and at the end decided the personal sacrifice and strain on relationship was not worth it. We decided we'd rather be on a single income for a while rather then be apart.

Note: Both of us are highly skilled professionals with deep expertise in our respective fields and extensive experience working internationally; so we're not exactly an apples to apples comparison.

MariaT

Post by MariaT » Fri, 14 Dec 2018 3:24 pm

x9200 wrote:
MariaT wrote:
PNGMK wrote:The partner who earns less should also follow the partner who earns more.
True. Unless the partner is about to work for one of the best companies with a nice package as well. Money can't buy happiness. Fortunately or not.
Yes, but looks like staying in Japan can't buy you happiness neither. Any chance to get transferred within a few years with this new company? Do they have an office in Singapore?
They do, but I don't think that living apart for that long will be a good solution.

MariaT

Post by MariaT » Fri, 14 Dec 2018 3:29 pm

brian_singapore wrote:As someone who has moved (with my wife) frequently over the last 20 years to new countries with one of us (sometimes me!) being the trailing spouse, we always moved together and trusted in our ability to find good work.

Our experience in Singapore: I moved here with a position. My wife came and waited 4 months to help settle in the family (we had 2 small children this time). She found a good job after 4 months of looking. The company converted her from a DP to an EP without incident and she's been happily employed every since.

We have briefly done the 'work apart' for 9 months and at the end decided the personal sacrifice and strain on relationship was not worth it. We decided we'd rather be on a single income for a while rather then be apart.

Note: Both of us are highly skilled professionals with deep expertise in our respective fields and extensive experience working internationally; so we're not exactly an apples to apples comparison.
Hi Brian,

Thanks a lot for your feedback. This is exactly what I was asking when creating this thread. We have had also an experience working apart for half a year and it wasn't the best experience.

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Success stories of your partner employment DH > LOC/EP / Advice needed

Post by BBCDoc » Wed, 19 Dec 2018 8:18 am

My Wife came to Singapore 1 year after I did. She quit her well paid career job in an MNC Pharma company because she couldn’t get an internal transfer to Singapore.

Within a week of arrival, the Singapore Pharma affiliate opened up the desired role, and she applied and waltzed right in.

This was nearly 7 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's always room for one more