Singapore Expats Forum

Success stories of your partner employment DH > LOC/EP / Advice needed

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
MariaT
Member
Member
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon, 16 May 2016 9:17 am

Success stories of your partner employment DH > LOC/EP / Advice needed

Post by MariaT » Tue, 11 Dec 2018 11:11 am

Hi all!
A couple of years ago I made a thread here asking for your advice wether to move to Singapore from Japan as my husband recieved an offer from the company in Singapore. At that time the salary and benefits were not that good so we decided to skip that opportunity. Thank you all for your advices!

Fast forward 2.5 years (as we never gave up an idea of moving from Japan) to a more international environment. And, finally, a good offer is here for one of the foreign start-ups in Singapore :roll:

Now, I've read almost every single post here about "how hard is to get an employment being on DH", how "my wife has been looking for a job for more than 2.5 years" etc. And, to be honest, I'm a bit terrified. I have 6 years of working experience in one of the biggest global firms that has an office here in Japan, and now about to get a job in Tech (but the offer is in Japan). So, the dilemma is whether or not drop this opportunity and follow my husband to Singapore as we have been wanting to relocate to Singapore for a looooong time, or to accept this opportunity in Tech while letting my husband to go first and then join him later :o

I wouldn't mind coming to Singapore (I'm in between jobs now), but your horror stories make me very worried since I don't want to knock every single door for months and months to come when I might have such a fantastic offer in where I'm now. Could you please share with me any success stories of your partner's employment, and give me your advice? :???:
I'm fully aware of MOM preferences for local citizens, LOC applications after the offer is out etc. I just wanted to know if anybody has partners who were highly skilled professionals back in their home countries and managed to fins a job in Singapore relatively fast.
P.S.
I have already tried to apply from here for the jobs in Singapore but I guess my location at this time doesn't happen at all.

MariaT
Member
Member
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon, 16 May 2016 9:17 am

Re: Success stories of your partner employment DH > LOC/EP / Advice needed

Post by MariaT » Tue, 11 Dec 2018 11:16 am

And just a few more details: I'm not a Japanese national but a PR holder so I can come back any time. I checked my EP potential with MOM and there's no problem, but I understand that the application can be made only if I'm offered a job)

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9412
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 4:06 pm
Location: Singapore

Re: Success stories of your partner employment DH > LOC/EP / Advice needed

Post by x9200 » Tue, 11 Dec 2018 11:51 am

I quickly ran through the previous thread but couldn't find any info on your job/education profile and without this I don't think one could estimate your chances to get a job and later for a work pass.

MariaT
Member
Member
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon, 16 May 2016 9:17 am

Re: Success stories of your partner employment DH > LOC/EP / Advice needed

Post by MariaT » Tue, 11 Dec 2018 12:13 pm

x9200 wrote:I quickly ran through the previous thread but couldn't find any info on your job/education profile and without this I don't think one could estimate your chances to get a job and later for a work pass.
Hey there! I'm rather asking for your individual stories and how it worked out for you and your partners.
I have MA in International Business, speak 3 languages (incl. Japanese), and have 6y+ experience in working on global projects as program manager and marketer. But I know that it all depends on luck as well)

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9412
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 4:06 pm
Location: Singapore

Re: Success stories of your partner employment DH > LOC/EP / Advice needed

Post by x9200 » Tue, 11 Dec 2018 12:28 pm

Not sure how individual stories kept on general level may help you, but over past years my wife hired some people on DP and she (PR and a single person company) had no problem obtaining LoC for them (all women and trailing spouses). But again, this might have had a lot to do with the fact they were professionals with the skill sets not that common locally. Business/marketing unfortunately sounds to me just opposite even with all the languages. Unless you could leverage somehow on your ties with Japan.

MariaT
Member
Member
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon, 16 May 2016 9:17 am

Re: Success stories of your partner employment DH > LOC/EP / Advice needed

Post by MariaT » Tue, 11 Dec 2018 1:04 pm

x9200 wrote:Not sure how individual stories kept on general level may help you, but over past years my wife hired some people on DP and she (PR and a single person company) had no problem obtaining LoC for them (all women and trailing spouses). But again, this might have had a lot to do with the fact they were professionals with the skill sets not that common locally. Business/marketing unfortunately sounds to me just opposite even with all the languages. Unless you could leverage somehow on your ties with Japan.
May I ask in what field does your wife work? And in case of hiring that you mentioned, what skills did they have?

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9412
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 4:06 pm
Location: Singapore

Re: Success stories of your partner employment DH > LOC/EP / Advice needed

Post by x9200 » Tue, 11 Dec 2018 2:03 pm

All therapists, different kinds, some required to be registered with Allied Health Professions Council, some not.

MariaT
Member
Member
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon, 16 May 2016 9:17 am

Re: Success stories of your partner employment DH > LOC/EP / Advice needed

Post by MariaT » Tue, 11 Dec 2018 2:22 pm

x9200 wrote:All therapists, different kinds, some required to be registered with Allied Health Professions Council, some not.
Thanks for your feedback. I hope to hear a bit more positive stories from other people. I have some time to think so any wise advice will be appreciated.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11630
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 12:13 am
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Re: Success stories of your partner employment DH > LOC/EP / Advice needed

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 11 Dec 2018 9:53 pm

The big key is networking. For example, I was active in AmCham, American Association of Singapore, and others. Wife was active in FOM, Aidha, and others. You meet other professional people who are also part of the groups who may know of jobs, and you meet spouses who have spouses in positions that know about jobs.

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6515
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:06 pm
Location: Sinkapore

Re: Success stories of your partner employment DH > LOC/EP / Advice needed

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 12 Dec 2018 9:21 am

I think you should consider splitting up and staying where the work is for each partner. I don't see a lot of light on the horizon for those sorts of jobs.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

MariaT
Member
Member
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon, 16 May 2016 9:17 am

Re: Success stories of your partner employment DH > LOC/EP / Advice needed

Post by MariaT » Wed, 12 Dec 2018 9:36 am

PNGMK wrote:I think you should consider splitting up and staying where the work is for each partner. I don't see a lot of light on the horizon for those sorts of jobs.
Could you please explain why? Is it because it will be tough to compete with the local labor force?
It's hard for me to believe that out of thousands and thousands foreign people coming to work in Singapore, all their partners abandon their careers or refuse to come due to this mindset.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11630
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 12:13 am
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Re: Success stories of your partner employment DH > LOC/EP / Advice needed

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 12 Dec 2018 10:21 am

MariaT wrote:It's hard for me to believe that out of thousands and thousands foreign people coming to work in Singapore, all their partners abandon their careers or refuse to come due to this mindset.
I've been moderating this board for about 14 years, and while I don't have any hard stats to give you, there have been many posts over the years from exasperated, disgusted, depressed, and demoralized trailing spouses who have been unable to continue their careers in Singapore.

The reasons are varied. Experience in a specialty that has little or no demand or that requires some sort of local certification. Unwillingness to pick up a spouse whose longevity is determined by the primary partner's career fortunes. Perception that you may be overqualified. Competition with the locals. And, as I have posted many, many times, the vast majority of people who come in on EP are transfers in, just like your spouse. It is very hard to find a job even if you are not a trailing spouse, as many who have wanted to come to Singapore to work have found out.

Again, volunteer work can lead into permanent paid work. You need to be ready to take a job that may not be as challenging and rewarding as what you used to do. My wife ran the information technology department at a large Houston hospital. After deciding she no longer wanted to be a project manager in my IT infra firm, she took a job at a small employment agency as a jill of all trades. Worked out well for her, as it gave her flexibility to do lots of other things.

I will emphasize again: It's not only trailing spouses who have a hard time finding a job, it's anybody who waltzes into Singapore cold and tries to hunt down a job. As noted, I've written about this. Search my threads to get an expanded version of why it is so hard.

Good luck. Others have done it. In fact, women probably have a better support network than men. Check out American Women's Association.

MariaT
Member
Member
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon, 16 May 2016 9:17 am

Re: Success stories of your partner employment DH > LOC/EP / Advice needed

Post by MariaT » Wed, 12 Dec 2018 10:39 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
MariaT wrote:It's hard for me to believe that out of thousands and thousands foreign people coming to work in Singapore, all their partners abandon their careers or refuse to come due to this mindset.
I've been moderating this board for about 14 years, and while I don't have any hard stats to give you, there have been many posts over the years from exasperated, disgusted, depressed, and demoralized trailing spouses who have been unable to continue their careers in Singapore.

The reasons are varied. Experience in a specialty that has little or no demand or that requires some sort of local certification. Unwillingness to pick up a spouse whose longevity is determined by the primary partner's career fortunes. Perception that you may be overqualified. Competition with the locals. And, as I have posted many, many times, the vast majority of people who come in on EP are transfers in, just like your spouse. It is very hard to find a job even if you are not a trailing spouse, as many who have wanted to come to Singapore to work have found out.

Again, volunteer work can lead into permanent paid work. You need to be ready to take a job that may not be as challenging and rewarding as what you used to do. My wife ran the information technology department at a large Houston hospital. After deciding she no longer wanted to be a project manager in my IT infra firm, she took a job at a small employment agency as a jill of all trades. Worked out well for her, as it gave her flexibility to do lots of other things.

I will emphasize again: It's not only trailing spouses who have a hard time finding a job, it's anybody who waltzes into Singapore cold and tries to hunt down a job. As noted, I've written about this. Search my threads to get an expanded version of why it is so hard.

Good luck. Others have done it. In fact, women probably have a better support network than men. Check out American Women's Association.
Thanks a lot for your message. In fact, I read a lot of your replies in other threads. I guess it's always hard to find a job when moving to a new country. Here in Japan we tend to think that if we managed to make it here, then we can make it anywhere since 95% of jobs in Japan are no-go for foreigners due to certification and language constraints. I guess I will have to evaluate carefully all pros and cons and make the decision afterwards. And utilize family connections in MNCs/co-working spaces.
I found some threads here about partners finding jobs pretty fast, so I thought more of these stories can help others to look to their situation from a different perspective. Without pink glasses, of course.

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6515
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:06 pm
Location: Sinkapore

Re: Success stories of your partner employment DH > LOC/EP / Advice needed

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 13 Dec 2018 8:46 am

The partner who earns less should also follow the partner who earns more.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

MariaT
Member
Member
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon, 16 May 2016 9:17 am

Re: Success stories of your partner employment DH > LOC/EP / Advice needed

Post by MariaT » Thu, 13 Dec 2018 3:57 pm

PNGMK wrote:The partner who earns less should also follow the partner who earns more.
True. Unless the partner is about to work for one of the best companies with a nice package as well. Money can't buy happiness. Fortunately or not.

Post Reply


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests