Singapore Expats

Self deposit in Singapore CPF account.

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
VJK_SG

Self deposit in Singapore CPF account.

Post by VJK_SG » Mon, 10 Dec 2018 7:39 pm

Hi Guys,

Could you please let me know whether self deposits to Singapore CPF account is possible?

Regards,
VJK

singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Re: Self deposit in Singapore CPF account.

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 10 Dec 2018 7:40 pm

VJK_SG wrote:Hi Guys,

Could you please let me know whether self deposits to Singapore CPF account is possible?

Regards,
VJK
Is possible and it is called as CPF Topup. But be assured it wont help for REP renewal.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 10 Dec 2018 9:06 pm

In fact, it will send up a red flag that you have been burning the candle at both ends and are now trying your level best to buy your way in. Topping up your CPF doesn't do anything towards being beneficial to the country, it's only beneficial to you. ICA isn't stupid.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by bro75 » Tue, 11 Dec 2018 8:07 am

There is a benefit to topping up cpf. See below:
https://www.cpf.gov.sg/eSvc/Web/Schemes ... andingPage

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 13 Dec 2018 8:47 am

VJK - what are you trying to achieve? You can do cash top ups or if you are self employed you can pay your CPF EE/ER contributions as well.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

GSM8
Chatter
Chatter

Post by GSM8 » Thu, 13 Dec 2018 9:31 am

PNGMK wrote:VJK - what are you trying to achieve? You can do cash top ups or if you are self employed you can pay your CPF EE/ER contributions as well.
I think the point that OP may be trying to make is that if he has no Singapore source income, any contribution to CPF would voluntary and there are no tax (deduction) benefits associated with it. In such cases, would continuing to contribute to CPF demonstrate his long term commitment to Singapore even if he is not currently living in Singapore? And would that translate into positive consideration at the time of his REP renewal? - Personally, I doubt it because there are plenty of rich people floating around for whom the $40K odd contribution limit is a drop in the bucket and they will gladly do it every year if it will preserve their PR while they are out of Singapore

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 14 Dec 2018 2:54 pm

GSM8, good thought, but it won't fly. He can put all the money he want into CPF (if her were allowed - must be PR or Citizen only) but that doesn't show commitment to Singapore. Singapore gets nothing out of it at all, in fact it costs them money as the rate of return, risk on risk is one of the best in the world. So all he's doing is feathering his own nest, nothing more. And yeah, you are right, it will not preserve their PR either.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers