Singapore Expats Forum

Tioman Island- accommodation/travelling alone

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

newgirl
Regular
Regular

Tioman Island- accommodation/travelling alone

Postby newgirl » Fri, 04 Mar 2005 7:00 pm

I am intending to head up to Tioman next weekend and was wondering if anyone could recommend any good resorts/places to stay? I am quite happy roughing it, so am not necessarily looking for 5 star accommodation. Are there any tour operators who arrange everything for you (ferry and travel from Fri Sun)?

I was also wondering if any females had travelled there on their own (and if they found it ok?)

Any tips would be appreciated-also George Clooney lookalikes are welcome to tag along! :D

seraphim
Reporter
Reporter

Postby seraphim » Fri, 04 Mar 2005 8:04 pm

You could try Holiday Bagus. They organize all my solo trips to Tioman, and they put you up in some very clean cosy chalets at the Paya Beach Resort. Snorkeling trips there are incredibly cheap and if you're going during a low season, its nice and peaceful.

If you're a real city girl, you're going to find it VERY quiet. Great to relax, but no good if you need your cell phone, a phone in your room, access to your email every day, a tv, a haridryer, etc, etc. However, I understand that even quaint little Paya Beach got in on the commercialization act and now has spa services.....and a swimming pool! You've got the whole darned ocean just steps away from your chalet door and they put in a pool! :roll:

Wish I could go with ya! Miss that place... :D

seraphim
Reporter
Reporter

Postby seraphim » Fri, 04 Mar 2005 8:07 pm

Almost forgot.....last I heard, there are no more daily ferries from Tanah Merah Ferry Terminal.....so you'll most likely get a coach to Mersing (Johor) and then a ferry from there instead.

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Mon, 07 Mar 2005 11:20 pm

You're a bit early, the monsoon season is just ending now... the ferries from TMFT only run in the high season, starting April or so. Local bus to Larkin in JB, another bus to Mersing, then a ferry is the way to go.

If you're feeling rich, you can also fly Berjaya Air direct from Singapore, but there's only a single flight with crappy timing in the middle of the day.

kiwi choc

Postby kiwi choc » Mon, 07 Mar 2005 11:56 pm

i have taken the ferry from sin to tioman, i have taken the coach to mersing then a ferry to tioman...i have also taken berjaya air to tioman. believe me the flight is not all that expensive compared to the direct ferry. The view from the sky whilst you are approaching tioman is brilliant! I would not suggest the direct ferry when it comes on. I took it once and it was choppy weather...most pp came out with a bag of vomit (no kidding).

Tioman is nice and safe. If you stay over at Berjaya side, you can rent a bicycle and cycle around. Go to the end of the cycling track or footpath and you will a marine jetty...jump down and have fun snokelling and feeding the fish. :-)

cheers

Kash

Postby Kash » Wed, 09 Mar 2005 4:55 pm

Hi,

You should try Rawa Island instead.. There is a lot of Hype about htis Tioman island but i have been there twice and there is nothing there.
The water is much better at RAWA island..you should try this place..

jjb

I'm wondering what you did and where you went!

Postby jjb » Sun, 13 Mar 2005 4:02 am

I'm due in Singapore at the end of March with work and have extended my stay by 6 days so that I can go scuba diving. I will be travelling alone and have been looking at Tioman.

I have just found this website and your note about travelling alone. Where did you go/what do you do? Is there anything that you'd recommend doing and/or refraining from?

cheers!

newgirl
Regular
Regular

Re: I'm wondering what you did and where you went!

Postby newgirl » Sun, 13 Mar 2005 7:15 pm

jjb wrote:I'm due in Singapore at the end of March with work and have extended my stay by 6 days so that I can go scuba diving. I will be travelling alone and have been looking at Tioman.

I have just found this website and your note about travelling alone. Where did you go/what do you do? Is there anything that you'd recommend doing and/or refraining from?

cheers!

Hi- I have just got back from Tioman and all I can say is wow! I was not sure what to expect, having heard various reports (both good and bad). I made the mistake of taking the coach/ferry to Mersing, but as it says above pay the extra money and fly there! So much easier. I stayed at the Berjaya beach resort which is a 4 star place, but the next time I wont bother- there are so many places to stay. As for the scuba diving, I can't comment, but I did go snorkelling and it was outstanding, in fact I plan to go back for a diving course. Not much to do apart from swim, subnbathe and chill- sounds dreadful, eh? Enjoy!

alancauc

Postby alancauc » Tue, 22 Mar 2005 11:32 am

hi newgirl and seraphim, im an american expat and have lived in singapore for 4 years. i am a member of the tioman golf club which gets me great discounts on the rooms (up to 70% off) and flights (half price) out there. I am organising a diving trip there with some buddies of mine...both of u are most welcome to join us. if u like for me to book u a room, thats not a problem cos they dont limit me on the number of rooms i can get a discount for, or alternatively u could cancel the booking when u get there and room in with us :). we dont snore but we roar prettty good! oh another thing....i dont look like george clooney...but i have been told that he looks like me...is that ok? :) pls leave me your mobile number but in code...i love solving puzzles.

nonbirijapan

singapore in april

Postby nonbirijapan » Wed, 23 Mar 2005 11:07 pm

Hi, I'm a 24-year old female teaching english in Japan. I know NOTHING about Singapore but am heading there alone from April 6 -12. Came across a rare but VERY cheap ticket there from Japan for that time so I snagged it. Have done NO research, but am in desperate need of a tropical island fix and any other suggestions. If you were given six days to do Singapore, how would you approach it? alancauc - I am an avid scuba diver, do you recommend Tioman? newgirl - was it cool travelling alone as a girl? thanks for the info, keep me posted! (no pun intended... i guess that line might get an overkill on postings, eh?)

newgirl
Regular
Regular

Lucky You

Postby newgirl » Thu, 24 Mar 2005 11:38 am

Hi

You will have a great time in Tioman, but don't do what I did and get the bus/ferry- it took me almost 8 hours on the way.

Check out flights and accommodation at www.tioman.com.my- the flight from Singapore only takes 45 mins (compare with above). As for travelling alone, you will be fine- I was just worried as I had lots of hassle the last time I was in Malaysia. As for the diving, I can't comment as I only scuba dived, but I hear it's amazing- so much so, I plan to go back and do a course there myself.

I stayed at Berjaya Beach Resort, which is probs more pricey, but to be honest, for all the time you will spend in your room, a tent would probably suffice.

Enjoy! :D