Singapore Expats

Hoping to emigrate but don't know where to start

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Ubik

Hoping to emigrate but don't know where to start

Post by Ubik » Sat, 08 Dec 2018 9:58 pm

Hi all, new here.

I'll cut to the chase. Just over a year ago, my girlfriend and I met online for the first time. I'm 26, from the UK and she is 27 and a Singapore Citizen. We hit it off pretty well and in September of this year, I made the leap and visited Singapore for the first time to meet her in person.

Thankfully, and to both our reliefs, the entire two week trip went amazingly, and we're both confident we've found in each other, someone we can be with for a long term.

Unfortunately, there's the obvious issue of distance. We both knew it would be an obstacle that we'd have to deal with, but after long, late night discussions with each other, I've decided that relocating, from the UK to Singapore is something I'd like to do both for the sake of our relationship and, honestly, my own quality of life. I realised very quickly during my trip that Singapore is a place I find resonates with me very well.

Neither of us expects this to be a fast process, but I must say, having begun researching myself, looking into the various passes available, looking up job opportunities that might be available to me and even speaking to expats known to my family who either currently or have lived in SG, I still find myself at a loss as to where I should be starting and focusing my attention.

Some advice I've received already, is to look into signing up with a recruiting agency in Singapore, as this would likely be the most viable way of me having success in finding a job and being sponsored for a Long Term Visitation Pass? And failing that, looking into becoming a TEFL Instructor first, and then looking for a position in my actual field (Digital Art and Motion Graphics Design) while there.

I contacted the Singapore High Commission in London regarding this, and they very kindly explained that immigration is not what they deal with but forwarded me details on ContactSingapore and recommended I contact the Ministry of Manpower. I tried contacting both but found ContactSingpore is more focused on those seeking to open a business in SG; not what I'm aiming to do, and the MoM website doesn't seem to have a "General Enquiry" contact (As far as I can see at least).

So, essentially, to boil it down, I'm looking for advice or previous experiences that people, preferably from the UK, could share with me and perhaps help steer me in the correct direction, at least initially.

This is something very important to me and I'd like to approach it with a strong, well thought out plan, so any help is greatly appreciated :o

Also, apologies if this is in the wrong section or there's a whole thread dedicated to this sort of thing already. As I said, new to the forums and at a bit of a loss as to where to begin!

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Re: Hoping to emigrate but don't know where to start

Post by bro75 » Sun, 09 Dec 2018 4:04 pm

There are a few ways to immigrate in Singapore.
1. PTS scheme. First you must find employment in Singapore which is eligible for an spass or EP. After a few years, you can apply for permanent residence on your own merits. Looking for a job in Singapore while outside is challenging but you can look at companies that are in Singapore and applying through their career website. You can also look through third party career sites such as Linkin and jobsites. Getting PR through this route is not easy nowadays due to more restrictive immigration policies.
2. Family Ties scheme. Marry your girlfriend and apply first for a LTVP then applying for a PR then citizenship later on. To know if you are eligible for a LTVP, please google pre-marriage LTVP. An LTVP (through marriage) allows you to work if you get a letter of consent.
3. Investor Scheme. I am assuming this is not applicable to you.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Tue, 11 Dec 2018 11:08 am

TEFL isn't big here, Sg is an English speaking country. There are English tutorial centres, research their qualification requirements if you want to go that route. The hours can be pretty anti-social and the money isn't great.

Ubik

Post by Ubik » Wed, 19 Dec 2018 6:16 pm

Thanks for the information so far!

Edit:

bgd, could you give me some direction on what I should be looking up for English Tutoring centres? It's the not the path I'm aiming for but would be useful to have the option.