Singapore Expats

Woodworking - Acoustic Guitar Building

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
nghonyuen

Woodworking - Acoustic Guitar Building

Post by nghonyuen » Fri, 07 Dec 2018 12:46 pm

Hi

Any guru has experience building an Acoustic/Classical Guitar from scratch? Thinking of starting this project but hesitate by a lot of failures from my research (P.S. I am not an experience woodworker.)

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Re: Woodworking - Acoustic Guitar Building

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 07 Dec 2018 1:12 pm

I'd never say never, and, a guitar is quite a skilled construction project requiring careful cutting skills, mastery of application of adhesives, and a lot of patience.

I do believe that I'd try a simpler project or two before tackling something as complex as a guitar. For example, you could try building a small box like this one.

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Addadude » Fri, 07 Dec 2018 1:27 pm

A couple of options for you to consider:

Taking into Strong Eagle's advice about starting with a simpler challenge, you can check out Tombalek Woodworking Centre in Woodlands. They run classes and workshops where you can build your own solid body electric guitar. (MUCH easier than building an acoustic guitar.) You can also learn how to build basic furniture there too. I personally think that would be a good place to start.

If your heart is set on building your own acoustic guitar, check out Jeffrey Yong Guitars in Malaysia. He not only builds his own beautiful instruments using woods native to Malaysia, he also runs guitar building workshops where you can build your own instrument.
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

nghonyuen

Post by nghonyuen » Sat, 08 Dec 2018 9:51 am

Thanks for your feedback. Maybe i will try tombalek for basic woodworking course. Is there any courses you would recommend?

I tried the XPC course, staff there was friendly & i am able to complete the work. However when it comes to my own project, all the challenges start to popup. Even cutting into smaller block from larger sheet seems like not so easy (i suspect likely is I didn’t spend enough time understanding how to use the tools)

Jeffrey is one of the option. However given the price is quite expensive, i thought of getting my hand dirty, knowing where the challenges are before approaching him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk