Singapore Expats

Moving to Singapore with PEP

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
expatamerican66

Moving to Singapore with PEP

Post by expatamerican66 » Fri, 30 Nov 2018 10:59 am

Hi. I am new here on the forums so please bear with me if this has been asked and answered before. I am a US citizen currently on expat assignment in Taipei with large MNC in a executive level role. Due to personal and professional reasons, I would like to relocate to Singapore. My research shows that I would be eligible to apply for a PEP (income well above the $18K/month, advanced degree etc). Is my understanding correct that I can apply for the PEP while still outside Singapore? I do have a local contact as required. And that with the PEP I can enter SG and stay for 6 months in order to find a job? Just checking here to see if anyone has done this before? Of course the other option is to come in on my passport (90 days) and look for a job and have the employer sponsor the EP which I assume is not difficult if I land a similar job as the one I have now.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Re: Moving to SG with PEP

Post by bgd » Fri, 30 Nov 2018 11:33 am

Your understanding is correct.

PEP or tourist pass?

If you think you can find work within the 90 days (no guarantee you actually get 90 days - up to the guy on the counter) then go with a tourist pass. Don't know your situation but finding roles here can be difficult and time consuming if you don't have contacts. Otherwise get a PEP.

The reason not to get a PEP is that it can be used only once and may be useful once you are employed. I applied for a PEP when my role was looking a little uncertain. On an EP you get 30 days to sort out your affairs or find another role. A PEP gives you 6 months.

Once a PEP expires you need to move to an EP. No issues in my case.